F1

Open vs. Closed Cockpit Race Cars

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Polishboy808
    Participant

So F1 seems to be the only top racing class that still uses open cockpit cars. I mean, Le Mans has now mandated closed cockpits for all new cars, and Indy’s new car has a windscreen that clearly directs the air over the drivers helmet and out of the cockpit area. How come F1 still uses it? I think its because of tradition, because F1 wouldn’t be F1 with closed cockpit cars. But Adrian Newey obviously knows that Closed cockpits are better, because look at his X1 Prototype! Technically, the only downside I see to closed cockpits it that your vision is slightly impeded, but if they use a fighter jet style windscreen, then they should be fine on that.

Your thoughts?

Macca
    Participant

It just wouldn’t be the same. You would probably get used to it but the thought of closed cockpits in F1 just makes me shudder. Theres nothing better than sitting the grands stand about 5 meters away from the track and watching the body language of the drivers wrestle there car around the track. It’s just great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed – it is probably faster, but there’s just something about open cockpits. Just like open wheels. There’s just something about seeing the drivers in action and being out in the elements.

Don’t get me wrong, closed cockpit racing can be great as well but doesn’t have the same spectacle for me.

Zadak

anyway, don’t forget where the rules go these days

what’s more important now?

speed vs spectacle

wigster
    Participant

Having a windscreen would be faster, and a,lot safer too, which is an important aspect. Just imagine the calls there would have been for greater protection had massa not been so lucky at hungary 09.

However there needs to a balance between safety, speed, entertainment and keeping the sports identity and I think we need to keep open cockpits, open wheels and wings so F1 keeps its identity and attraction.

Icthyes
    Participant

Not to mention how small the cockpit is. If there was a fire and it got stuck?

S.J.M
    Participant

Ive always thought closed cockpit cars looked better then open wheeled. But each has their advantages and make for good racing, but get intetesting when you have both racing each other (such as at Le Man).

Le Mans has now mandated closed cockpits for all new cars

Isn’t the new Aston Martin open cockpit?

That said I do prefer the closed look for Le Mans cars. I think they need that point of differentiation with single-seaters.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Isn’t the new Aston Martin open cockpit?

It is. But I believe it’s in a different category to the 908 and R18.

But I prefer not to think of the new Aston. It’s ugly as sin. It looks like a submarine, and based on their testing times, it handles about as well as one.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Yeah, I should have made that clearer, LMP1 cars have mandated closed cockpits.

DavidS
    Participant

Closed cockpit and closed wheels are aerodynamically better, that’s why the Adrian Newey concept features both.

But, open wheels and cockpits is part of the formula. Changing it would mean a complete departure from the heritage of the sport.

If a breakaway series ever got off the ground, and FOM kept the rights to F1, but stuck with the FIA, than I wouldn’t really have an issue with closed cockpits or wheels…it’d be like Group C all over again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.