• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 day, 5 hours ago

F1 discussion

Parrotting Nonsense

This topic contains 42 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sbl on tour sbl on tour 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fixy
    Fixy
    Participant

For sure: being used by Massa, Raikkonen, Domenicali, Montezemolo (and probably more). Who started using it first?

Profile photo of Asanator
    Asanator
    Participant

Schumacher used to use it back in the 90’s a lot.

Profile photo of Dan Thorn
    Dan Thorn
    Participant

I think I read somewhere a while back that Jacques Laffite used to say it a lot…

Profile photo of Chippie
    Chippie
    Participant

Johnathan Legard said the same thing in almost every race: “Here he is, he’s made his move! It’s Hamilton coming down the inside!!! He’s out-braked and… Oh, wait, is this a replay?”

Profile photo of Maciek
    Maciek
    Participant

I think a few people are kinda missing the point of Hairs’ thread – he didn’t say: dump your F1-related annoyances here…

Anyhoo, the first thing that came to my mind – and it is intimately related to F1F – is how many people have taken to automatically talking about ‘bias’ when what they mean is ‘different opinion’. And I don’t necessarily mean the whole British bias stuff – go through the site and see how many time the word is casually thrown around; it’s getting beaten to death! When you have an opinion that’s an opinion, to be biased you have to deliberately skew or omit facts in presenting an argument. Harrumph.

Profile photo of Red Andy
    Red Andy
    Participant

For sure: being used by Massa, Raikkonen, Domenicali, Montezemolo (and probably more). Who started using it first?

One version of the legend suggests it was Alain Prost. The phrase “for sure” is quite similar to the French “bien sur,” which is generally translated as “of course.” But I suspect the real truth is lost in the mists of time…

Profile photo of sbl on tour
    sbl on tour
    Participant

@ red andy

“for sure” this phrase really gets on my wick, first heard it of it around 1973, ish from for example, fittipaldi and lauda of all people and its still around to this day and it still sounds just as naff today as it did all those years ago!

think ive heard rosberg using it, mind ,he probably got it from his da who probably got from joker who made it up when foreign drivers were learning english!!

what does it actually mean- I have no idea

the only time I ever hear it used is in F1. and during driver interviews, never by a british bloke I may add, it always comes out of the mouths of “johnny foreigners” for some reason(oops not very pc there) but hey ho

Profile photo of Funkyf1
    Funkyf1
    Participant

BBC banging on about British drivers, that’s bias!

Profile photo of Maciek
    Maciek
    Participant

@sbl on tour

Good for you, you tell those foreigners… learning English and then saying annoying things all over the place, who do they think they are, anyway? You don’t see me saying annoying things in German or Spanish, do you? Why, I bet that if they kept their mouths shut, we’d never hear another annoying cliché again.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

“We’re pursuing an aggressive design this year”

Williams are probably the most guilty of this. They claim that they’ll be making an aggressive/innovative/bold/daring/adjective design, but what they usually produce is something rather conservative. If anybody has a bold design philosophy, it’s McLaren – after all, they invented the F-duct. And Red Bull might be able to claim a bold design, but not anybody else.

Clearly this is entirely coincidental, and we armchair enthusiasts were well aware, from watching him race in 2008, how easy he was on his tyres.

Watch some of his pre-2009 stuff, particularly around 2004. He actually is, and always has been, very gentle on his tyres. The problem in 2008 was that the Honda was so bad it bent the laws of physics.

BBC banging on about British drivers, that’s bias!

They’re British commentators. It’s entirely understandable if they’re interested in what and how the British drivers do. A lot of national broadcasters supply their own commentary, especially in non English-speaking nations. If you want bias, listen to the Australian commentary some time. I still remember Greg Rust being so furious with Adrian Sutil for accidentally blocking Webber in qualifying at Bahrain one time that he kept trying to lead Peter Windsor into saying that Sutil’s racing licence was being suspended for it. To his credit, Windsor didn’t bite.

Profile photo of sbl on tour
    sbl on tour
    Participant

@prisoner monkeys, good one, the aggressive design, now that is clearly…. cobblers, yep and wiiliams has been guilty of it over the years,

their aggressive design invarably becomes a “s.. box”

“s..box, nows theres another one, dont know who coined that, but its now in the F1 directory, think “gob…..” is maybe in their too (sorry ej)

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

I think a few people are kinda missing the point of Hairs’ thread – he didn’t say: dump your F1-related annoyances here…

Quoted for truth.

Trulli Train is another one. It seems hardly anyone paid much attention until Legard said it. Or maybe that’s just me.

Profile photo of Stefan Kelly
    Stefan Kelly
    Participant

‘Hes got the hammer down now’

Profile photo of TomD11
    TomD11

How have so many people missed the point of this thread? It’s not ‘nonsense’, it’s ‘parrotting nonsense'; nonsense from commentators, insiders etc. that you or other fans then perpetuate.

Sorry to rag on ol’ JB again, but for me it has to be people saying he is some sort of master strategist after his victories in in Australia and China this year. In Australia he had just destroyed his inters, as he himself said, and had to come in, China yes that was a good call but there was also Korea, which these people seem to conveniently forget. One good call does not a master make.

Profile photo of Hairs
    Hairs
    Participant

Thank you to those who got the point of the thread! Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. Yes, this thread is NOT about “phrases you don’t like”. It’s “Things people pass off as their own opinions that they have heard as ‘accepted fact’ from some other armchair expert and are now mindlessly repeating, as though they had managed to come to this conclusion themselves, but clearly never did.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.