• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 9 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Parrotting Nonsense

This topic contains 42 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sbl on tour sbl on tour 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sorry to rag on ol’ JB again, but for me it has to be people saying he is some sort of master strategist after his victories in in Australia and China this year. In Australia he had just destroyed his inters, as he himself said, and had to come in, China yes that was a good call but there was also Korea, which these people seem to conveniently forget. One good call does not a master make.

Were you watching Moza last year? If it weren’t for Alonso tagging him at the first corner, Button would have won the race.

Profile photo of sbl on tour
    sbl on tour
    Participant

yeah, but “phrases you dont like ” is more fun!!!!

plus theres more mileage in it

Profile photo of TomD11
    TomD11

Were you watching Moza last year? If it weren’t for Alonso tagging him at the first corner, Button would have won the race.

Well yes, albeit with Greek commentary, but for me that falls under the banner of set-up rather than strategy. Plus he was tagged by Alonso and regardless of whether or not that caused him to lose the lead and whether the collision was due to his choice of set-up in the first place (greater drag -> more fuel -> slower acceleration), he didn’t win. In the end he got a podium with a competitive, if somewhat unorthodox car, big whoop.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

In the end he got a podium with a competitive, if somewhat unorthodox car, big whoop.

“Somewhat unorthodox”? You do realise that he went completely against the grain in terms of his set up for the circuit and damn near won the race, right? It was completely against the advice and desires of the garage. I wouldn’t be surprised if people start trying to replicate it in future. That’s what you call strategy at work.

Profile photo of TomD11
    TomD11

Well it’s not like he just left the f-duct on and hoped for the best, it was clearly working throughout practice and was a competitive set-up. Yes it was against the grain but due to the nature of the car it worked. Anyway I don’t class this as strategy, it may be semantics, but for me, strategy is the calls the driver makes about tyres etc., choosing how to set-up the car is exactly that – set-up. If you want to call that strategy then fine but it wasn’t what I was referring to and it didn’t strike me as amazingly inspired anyway, it seemed a perfectly reasonable choice.

Profile photo of Stefan Kelly
    Stefan Kelly
    Participant

very true ‘sbl on tour’

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

Yup the amazing strategy one annoys me too.

Profile photo of David-A
    David-A
    Participant

One from 2010: Kubica as the best driver on the grid. His boss said it, then the fanboys followed suit.

He’s good, but hasn’t proven himself to be better than Alonso, Hamilton or even Vettel.

Profile photo of RIISE
    RIISE

One from 2010: Kubica as the best driver on the grid. His boss said it, then the fanboys followed suit.

He’s good, but hasn’t proven himself to be better than Alonso, Hamilton or even Vettel.

I think 2010 was a phenomenal performance, out-driving all season a car that was clearly a mid-field and sometimes worse car. I still think given a top car he will become WDC.

Profile photo of David-A
    David-A
    Participant

@RIISE – I still feel the car given was underrated, and performances were flattered a little by Petrov. Maybe in the future he will become WDC and/or the best on the grid, but until then I can’t rate him as better than (or as good as) the aforementioned three. Fisichella performed brilliantly in a Jordan, a Benetton and a Sauber. Then look what happened when he was given championship winning equipment.

Profile photo of DavidS
    DavidS
    Participant

The one about Buttons driving style is my main annoyance.

Up until he jumped in a Brawn, outward impressions of his driving style were “not pushing hard enough.”

There’s also the whole thing about Vettel. People keep parroting “baby Schumacher” or “wunderkind.”

Since other people have mentioned annoyances with presenters, I must say I get a little annoyed every time Brundle says “sixth”

He says Sickth, as in one, two, three four, five, SICK.

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

It’s just his accent.

Profile photo of sbl on tour
    sbl on tour
    Participant

“for sure”

alive and kicking in 2011, heard during the regie r31 launch!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.