F1

Pit stop priority due to position within a team

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Caroline Geddes
    Participant

During the Mexican GP coverage there was a discussion (I think between Martin Brundle and someone else) about Rosberg being able to ‘hang Hamilton out to dry’ if he decided to hang on for a few laps before he took his pit stop, as Hamilton would always have to pit second. There have been times this year, and last, that Hamilton was told if he did not pit when asked then his team mate would be given the stop. Surely if Hamilton’s tyres were going off, or he wanted to pit for strategy, then if Rosberg would not agree, or did not want to pit that lap then Hamilton would be allowed to. I assume if Rosberg thought his team mate wanted to pit he would insist on his position priority and pit first, even if it was actually earlier than he wanted to. It might even be worth the second place driver putting doubt in first driver’s head to force them to take an early pit stop. What do people think?

PorscheF1
    Participant

I think it is always like a little flowchart they go through.

1) Does our leading driver want to pit –> Yes, he pits
    2) No, does our second driver want to pit –> Yes, he pits
    3) Next lap, repeat 1)

It’s not so much that the leading driver has to pit first in time, he gets first pick on the very lap of the ideal time. If he chooses to continue there is nothing that stops the team for pitting the second driver.

Caroline Geddes
    Participant

I agree with you – that makes sense and is borne out by past experience. I wonder why then Brundle suggested Rosberg could ‘hang Lewis out to dry’?

glynh
    Participant

Possibly because Hamilton was close to rosberg so rosberg could decide not to pit late in the lap meaning Hamilton would have no chance to come in.Although a simple instruction of do the opposite to rosberg would fix that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.