F1

Possible championship outcomes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    US_Peter
    Participant

Okay, so here’s a crazy one: If Vettel and Webber 1-2 in Brazil AND Abu Dhabi, with Alonso third in one race and 5th in another, the three of them will be tied on 256 points. Webber will have 4 wins to Vettel and Alonso’s 5 wins each, so he’s out. Vettel will have two 2nd place finishes, Alonso will have two 2nd place finishes. Vettel will have three 3rd place finishes, Alonso will have three 3rd place finishes. Vettel will have three 4th place finishes to Alonso’s two 4th place finishes, which means the title will go to Vettel. That would definitely be a pretty crazy scenario. What are some others?

VettelS

If that happens, it’ll make my year :)

Icthyes
    Participant

Button wins the last two races. No matter what the rest do, that’s a pretty crazy scenario.

For real though, Button wins the last two races, Hamilton gets a 3rd and 5th, Vettel a 2nd and 3rd, Webber a 3rd and 8th, Alonso a 6th and DNF. Alonso wins the championship by a win from Webber and Button, two from Vettel, and one point from Hamilton.

But I think yours is even crazier as it’s pretty conceivable it could happen!

US_Peter
    Participant

The only problem with that scenario is that you have three 3rd place finishes in there, and there’s only two more races to finish 3rd in.

VettelS

But like Icthyes said- that outcome is a distinct possibility. Well, it would be if Red Bull don’t tell Vettel to move over, but they probably will.

Icthyes
    Participant

I must have written it down incorrectly because I used the Championship Calculator. One of those 3rds is meant to be something else…

Yup, Hamilton’s 3rd should be a 2nd. Try it now.

Girts
    Participant

Interlagos. Seb leads the race and lets Mark pass for the championship. 1st Webber, 2nd Vettel, 3rd Alonso. Standings after the race: Alonso 246, Webber 245, Vettel 224.

Yas Marina. Webber and Alonso collide on the 1st lap. Webber retires, while Alonso falls behind but can continue. Vettel wins the race, while Alonso manages to recover to 8th. Standings after the race: Alonso 250, Vettel 249, Webber 245. Had Vettel not moved over in Abu Dhabi, he would have won the title.

US_Peter
    Participant

Vettel won’t be pulling over for Webber just like Webber won’t be pulling over for Vettel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where is the Championship caluclator you mentioned , Hamilton in 2010 will be Kimi from 2007 , everyone is concerned with Webber and Alonso that he will sneak up and win it all.

Icthyes
    Participant
    Eggry
    Participant

I wish who wins in Abu Dhabi wins the championship. of course Alonso and Webber can win the championship with no victory in Abu Dhabi(but not Vettel or Hamilton. they almost have to win two race in row), but I think it is much better situation. Do you remember 2007 and 2008? I think 2007 was much better and acceptable to spectators. I want a clear victory.

GeeMac
    Participant

Why was 2007 a clear victory when compared to 2008 Eggry? Both titles where won by a single point?

Eggry
    Participant

@GeeMac I mean Kimi’s victory was incredible turning, but Hamilton’s victory was struggling defence. Two of them is same point, same position, but not same feeling to people. That is why some people say Massa should be the champion of 2008. so even if same point, it’d rather who wins final race wins the title. actually, what I want is not a clear victory but more exciting victory story. Simply I want to see the champion on the top of podium goes crazy, not on pit lane and garage.

GeeMac
    Participant

I see your point, but respectfully disagree. I don’t see 2008 as a defensive win by Hamilton, why should the fact that he scored more points earlier in the count against him in the grand scheme of things? You have to get the points on the board at some stage and whether you do it at the start of the year (ala Button 2009 or Red Bull this year) or the end of the year (Massa 2008, Red Bull 2009 and Alonso this year) shouldn’t come into the equation.

Eggry
    Participant

@GeeMac yes, as you said there’s no difference in mathematics. but if Hamilton won Brazilian GP in 2008, it could be much better shape. Not many people insists Hamilton or Alonso should be the champion of 2007, but there’s some people saying Massa should be the champion of 2008. I just prefer more clean finale. but I don’t care too much if it wouldn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.