• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 53 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Predict Melbourne grid

This topic contains 65 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bradley Downton Bradley Downton 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lucas Wilson
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@craig-0

Boo!

lol ;-)

Profile photo of Alex Cross
    Alex Cross
    Participant

Hard to say. Williams think that they could get podiums this season, so I would expect to see them in the top ten come Melbourne, the same with Force India. McLaren and Mercedes will probably be the top two at the beginning of this season, with Ferrari close in third.

Jerez suggested that the Ferrari engines are next best after the Mercedes at the moment, so at the moment, Sauber and Marussia would come next. But I am sure that Renault will sort out any problems meaning that Marussia won’t be too out of place in comparison too last year, with Red Bull and Sauber probably competing to make the top ten (Red Bull will probably struggle in the beginning). Rant over:

1. Lewis Hamilton
    2. Nico Rosberg
    3. Jenson Button
    4. Fernando Alonso
    5. Felipe Massa
    6. Kevin Magnussen
    7. Kimi Raikkonen
    8. Nico Hulkenberg
    9. Sebastian Vettel
    10. Valterri Bottas

Profile photo of Max Jacobson
    Max Jacobson
    Participant

Very tricky as there is little basis, but I’ll give it a shot ;)

1 – Magnussen
    2 – Hamilton
    3 – Rosberg
    4 – Button
    5 – Vettel
    6 – Alonso
    7 – Ricciardo
    8 – Räikkönen
    9 – Grosjean
    10 – Hülkenberg
    11 – Massa
    12 – Kvyat
    13 – Perez
    14 – Maldonado
    15 – Bottas
    16 – Sutil
    17 – Vergne
    18 – Kobayashi
    19 – Gutierrez
    20 – Bianchi
    21 – Ericsson
    22 – Chilton (his permanent spot)

Profile photo of JackySteeg
    JackySteeg
    Participant

I’m gonna guess:

1. Rosberg
    2. Hamilton
    3. Magnussen
    4. Alonso
    5. Raikkonen
    6. Button
    7. Vettel
    8. Hulkenberg
    9. Ricciardo
    10. Perez
    11. Massa
    12. Bottas
    13. Grosjean
    14. Kvyat
    15. Sutil
    16. Maldonado
    17. Guttierez
    18. Vergne
    19. Bianchi
    20. Kobayashi
    21. Chilton
    22. Ericsson

Profile photo of Oli
    Oli
    Participant

1.) Button
    2.) Alonso
    3.) Massa
    4.) Kobayashi
    5.) Bottas
    6.) Raikonnen
    7.) Perez

The rest: DNF. Hamilton DNF while in P2, Rosberg shortly after while in P2, Magnussen DNF in P2, Vettel DNF outside the top 10, Ricciardo DNF in P9.

2 Safety Cars, Wet/Dry change.

Behind Button and Alonso, everyone will be at least +1 Lap.

1 car will DNF on the formation lap.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

@dh1996
    That is one almighty race prediction! Although for whatever reason, I don’t see it as being impossible.

I have revised my grid so that it covers the full top 10.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I like it.. I think so far we have the Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault engines in this order in terms of reliability. If reliability is pace, then we also have the top teams (Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari) above 1000 kms, middle order (Williams, Sauber and Force India) around 750 kms, and lower order (Caterham, Toro Rosso, Marussia and Red Bull) roughly at 350 kms or less.

Red Bull is an outlier there, so adjusting for the Renault teams fixing their issues (of which Red Bull have the most) and Marussia getting some decent mileage on the board (along with Lotus) is the real unpredictable part of the grid at the moment. We can say they’d all triple their mileage if they could, giving us Mercedes with almost 4,000 kms at this point and the others with 2,000 (more for Ferrari, depending on Marussia doing more mileage). While Mercedes have the most teams here, it’s not enough to account for a doubling of test mileage, so we can assume Mercedes are stronger in terms of race reliability (thus making them current title favourites).

Drivers by km driven in Jerez:
    Mercedes: Rosberg (832), Hamilton (535)
    Ferrari: Alonso (766), Raikkonen (345)
    McLaren: Magnussen (717), Button (367)
    Williams: Massa (588), Bottas (185)
    Sauber: Sutil (456), Gutierrez (265)
    Force India: Juncadella (358), Perez (212), Hulkenberg (75) [You can tell who brings the cash in here]
    Caterham: Kobayashi (239), Ericsson (53), Frijns (44)
    Toro Rosso: Vergne (199), Kvyat (39)
    Marussia: Bianchi (110), Chilton (22)
    Red Bull: Vettel (48), Ricciardo (44)

Generally the more experienced drivers are getting the mileage at this point, although McLaren are making sure Magnussen is as ready as can be for the season ahead. We’ll see how this changes in Bahrain.

Melbourne: I’ll be surprised if we don’t have a grid which looks like (Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull), (Lotus, Williams, Force India, Sauber), (Toro Rosso, Caterham, Marussia) roughly these three groups, who are also generally the big, medium and smaller spenders.

Profile photo of Rigi
    Rigi
    Participant

It’s quite funny how people still write off marussia and caterham, we don’t know if they’ll be at the back of the grid again this year. also, we know mercedes have sorted out their engine the fastest, but that doesn’t mean it will be the quickest of them all. if renault sort theirs out they might just be quicker than the mercedes. we don’t know that yet.

i’m not going to make any prediction until the end of fp3 in melbourne.

Profile photo of Jack
    Jack
    Participant

1. Bottas
    2. Hamilton
    3. Rosberg
    4. Magnussen
    5. Alonso
    6. Massa
    7. Vettel
    8. Hulkenberg
    9. Perez
    10. Maldonado

Profile photo of minnis
    minnis
    Participant

1) Hamilton
    2) Rosberg
    3) Button
    4) Alonso
    5) Hulkenburg
    6) Perez
    7) Vettel
    8) Raikkonen
    9) Magnussen
    10) Massa
    11) Bottas
    12) Ricciardo
    13) Kobayashi
    14) Vergne
    15) Grosjean
    16) Vergne
    17) Maldonado
    18) Ericson
    19) Kvyat
    20) Sutil
    21) Bianchi
    22) Chilton

Profile photo of PieLighter
    PieLighter
    Participant

@rigi You see these predictions about the Mercedes (and the Ferrari, to a lesser extent) engines because the Mercedes and Ferrari are the only engines that actually work. Renault seem to have made a big mess of things, and oddly Caterham has the most mileage among the Renault teams, with Red Bull having spluttered around Jerez a few times before giving up.
    The interesting thing for me will be to see how far back Red Bull are due to this, especially if their KERS gremlins from last year return, as it will result in a huge loss of power. Superior aero won’t help them there.
    I would agree with Mercedes and McLaren being on top, at least at the start. And if anyone can master the smooth delivery required by these high-torque engines, it will be the likes of Button, Alonso et al.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

The other factor is that we don’t know how many revs they were running. Mercedes and Ferrari only planned to use the full rev range on the last day, which then had some damp running. It could be that Mercedes ran a slightly higher rev range (sure of greater reliability so far) than Ferrari as rumoured at this point (from those at Jerez). Ferrari have also focussed on engine cooling, so they can run a tight body package without too many worries (a Red Bull-Ferrari at this point would likely be lethal). Renault could also be on speed once they strengthen their crankshaft.

The reason we write off Marussia and Caterham to some extent is simply because we know they spend less money on running their teams than the other midfield runners. If they can beat them then they have done a fantastic job (think Sauber contending for a race win). Caterham got close but then lost ground with the EBD (falling back like Williams did as well, as they couldn’t make it work), so focussed on 2014 early on (hence a novel nose package). Marussia’s car looks simple, but could still be effective. The big teams have gone down what looks like a ‘more advanced path’ with their noses (Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus with their novel solution), while the midfield ones look similar. But it seems like the noses are a sidetrack issue – the aerodynamic solutions may be towards the rear, hence Newey packaging the RB like a supermodel in tight jeans.

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

1. Rosberg
    2. Magnussen
    3. Button
    4. Hamilton
    5. Alonso
    6. Bottas
    7. Raikkonen
    8. Hulkenberg
    9. Massa
    10. Vettel

Profile photo of Saints
    Saints
    Participant

1. Rosberg
    2. Button
    3. Hamilton
    4. Magnussen
    5. Raikkonen
    6. Vettel
    7. Alonso
    8. Massa
    9. Ricciardo
    10. Perez

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

I’m surprised that the general consensus appears to be Ros > Ham and Mag > But. I think I will save my prediction until after the first Bahrain test.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.