F1

Question about P.U.R.E.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PinkMaggit

I’ve heard that a new engine manufacturer P.U.R.E. is coming into F1.

I assume they’ll enter the sport in 2014 but is it known who their customers will be?

Will they be a threat to Cosworth at all?

I’d basically just like to know a bit about their background and how they’re going to fit into F1.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I assume they’ll enter the sport in 2014 but is it known who their customers will be?

Considering that they don’t have anything to show potential customer teams … no, nobody knows who their customers will be. They have plans to get a base unit onto a test bed by the end of the year, after which point they’ll have something to show for themselves. But 2014 is a long way away. All that’s really known is that it’s being run by Craig Pollock and Gilles Simon recently joined the company.

robk23
    Participant

PURE is apparently made up of what was left of Peugeot’s F1 engine efforts around 10 years ago.

George
    Participant

I dislike these guys already. For a start their name is rubbish, secondly they’re barging in on Cosworth’s territory (is there really room for another engine manufacturer?), and thirdly we’re going to get neverending drama from their link with Todt and the FIA.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

they’re barging in on Cosworth’s territory

Which they have every right to do – Cosworth was not guaranteed the exclusive rights to be Formula 1’s only non-manufacturer engine supplier.

ScuderiaVincero
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing how P.U.R.E. will perform in Formula 1. Bring on 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

they’re barging in on Cosworth’s territory

Which they have every right to do – Cosworth was not guaranteed the exclusive rights to be Formula 1’s only non-manufacturer engine supplier.

Indeed, and Cosworth haven’t exactly been going in the right direction either, losing 2 customers in 2 years.

I want the days back when near enough every team was powered by a different engine, Rather than 3 and a half companies powering the whole grid.

Journeyer
    Participant

Awful name aside, they’re more than welcome to compete in F1. It’s a sport of survival – if they don’t do well, the sport will spit it out just as quickly. That said, even Cosworth’s most successful days came with Ford funding – and PURE will probably need some sort of manufacturer funding for it to be successful (and avoid becoming what Cosworth is now post-Ford).

GeorgeTuk
    Participant

Seems reasonable name to me?! Whats in a name anyway, the other manufacturers are only other people’s surnames which is rarely done anymore, and Cosworth is just a mash up of two names. If they get the result we will forget the name anyway.

I am always pleased to see more competition in the sport, the more the better I say as long as it is serious competition. Cosworth to me have come in and fully expected to be last best and are happy with it for some reason, its almost like a glamour project which is a shame.

Still there is hope yet!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

PURE is an acroynm. It stands for “Propulsion Universelle et Recuperation d’Energie”, which is French for “Universal Propulsion and Recuperation of Energy”.

Journeyer
    Participant

@GeorgeTuk: PURE just doesn’t sound… original. If a McLaren-PURE won the race, for example, it just doesn’t sound quite right. Also, if they get the results, I think people would remember the name more, not forget it. :D

George
    Participant

It just sounds like some kind of cleaning product, or a yogurt. Saying that it’s an acronym hardly makes a difference, they could have called it ARSE if they wanted to

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.