F1

Question on directors' roles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AlbertC
    Participant

Recently there has been a number of news on various directors changing employers, and there seems to be a number of kinds of directors.

It would be great if anyone could shed some light on what responsibilities and work the following titles inply:

– Technical director

– Technology director

– Sporting director

– Other?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Technical directors generally oversee the development of the car. The exact definition varies from team to team; some technical directors are directly involved in the design of the car, while others take a more-managerial approach and serve as the bridge between the design bureau and the rest of the team.

Sporting directors are usually involved in managing the day-to-day aspects of a team. They make sure the right people are in the right place at the right time. They run the garage and co-ordinate logistics, as well as rosters (teams will often rotate mechanics and pit crews throughout the year to combat fatigue; most with have two or three complete pit crews in their employ and cycle through them).

The technology director is a fairly new position, and one that I’m uncertain about whether they are used by all teams. My knowledge of it is kind of limited, but I’d say they manage the technology in the car. They’ll look after the KERS programs and gearboxes and the like.

Basically, each director is responsible for one division of the team. These divisions work together in the background. They don’t directly run aspects of the team during a race; they’re more the behind-the-scenes kind of positions.

raymondu999
    Participant

My knowledge of the situation isn’t very current, but I believe that a tech director would also be directing factory tech; as opposed to just KERS/gearboxes; i.e. CFD clusters/windtunnels.

To be fair, one can never really know all this. Every team operates on their own different structure in terms of directors.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.