F1

Races which run out of time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sue
    Participant

Hi! Does anyone know when was the last race to literally run out of time and had to finish before completing all the laps? I know Canada only just made it through, but I can’t think of one that I’ve seen and I started watching Formula 1 mid-season 2009.

nmgn
    Participant

The 2008 Monaco GP ran for 76 out of 78 scheduled laps. The 1997 Monaco GP comes to mind as well (with Mika Salo even finishing the race without making a pitstop, if memory serves well), but I’m pretty sure there have been more between ’97 and ’08.

nmgn
    Participant

The 2012 and 2014 Singapore GP were also cut down a few laps due to the 2 hour timelimit.

paulgilb
    Participant

Monaco 1996 went over the 2-hour limit as well.

Interestingly, the rules regarding the 2-hour limit do seem to have changed in recent years. Previously, if the 2-hour limit was reached, the lap that the race leader was on at that moment would be the last one. But yesterday, after the clock hit 0:00, Hamilton completed the lap he was on (he had just started it) and then one further lap (I have checked the current rules, and this is correct). I’m guessing this rule change came about as under the previous rules a driver may be uncertain if he has finished the race or not when he crosses the line.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.