F1

Rate the 2017 cars: design and livery

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

After writing a comment about liking the Renault a lot, I also ranked the other cars that have been shown so far, which on a scale from 1 to 10 is as following:
    – Sauber: 4 – looks horrible no matter the angle, no correct that: only directly from the front does it look good, too bad I cannot see a silver lining here (pun intended)
    – Force India: 5 – that nose, ugh! average at best for all other angles, side is best
    – Mercedes: 7 – the livery really does nothing for me, too clinical, but the car itself is nice
    – McLaren: 7 – looks great from a lot of angles, but not so from certain others, mixed bag, but better than last year
    – Ferrari: 9 – despite the white elements (not my taste) everything is so balanced, doesn’t look aggressive, just beautiful
    – Renault: 10 – everything from the matte black finish, the carbon wings (not painted) and perfect gold-ish yellow colour to the aggressive lines and perfect contours, this is by far the best looking car

I’ve omitted Williams, since they’ve just released a render that’s too dark to judge. We’ll see about that tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Where do you rank these cars based on looks alone? So regardless of what’s your favourite team (mine’s McLaren) and driver, just an honest opinion on how these look. I took into account all angles, the lines, the livery, the extra parts (can make or break a design).

Just found out after writing the above that I’m not sure how I feel about the shark fin on the Ferrari being higher than the rear wing. It looks off somehow, judging from the installation lap Kimi did.

James Brickles
    Participant

Mercedes – 8 – Probably the best looking of the cars we’ve seen so far, and I’ve never disliked the livery either, even if it doesn’t evolve.
    Ferrari – 6 – Very ambitious design, especially from the sidepods. Not too bad but I’ve never really been a fan of the extra white on the scarlet livery.
    Force India – 3 – Definitely my least favourite in terms of design and livery which is a shame. The colour scheme doesn’t work for me. I’ll still be cheering Perez on though.
    Williams – 6 – Appears to be very conservative design compared to others. Martini livery is a classic.
    McLaren – 8 – Orange!!! Enough said.
    Renault – 9 – Awesome livery and they’ve designed the shark fin nicely as well. The black Renault writing against the yellow rear wing works very well. My favourite Renault livery since 2010
    Sauber – 7 – I actually quite like the livery, like a throwback to 1996 and the design is pretty nice as well.

I’m expecting the Red Bull to be a good looking car, they tend to be, and I like the matt design as well. Not sure what sort of design or livery Haas will bring, but it’ll be interesting to see if they’ll go any different to last year’s colour scheme.

Nic Morley
    Participant

Sauber – 7 – Don’t like the thumb nose, but shark fin is probably my favourite of the cars revealed so far…
    however it should be blue. Livery is great, although I don’t like the white splodges on the side pod.

Williams – 7 – The livery doesn’t need to be changed after only three years. Most classic liveries are those that run for a few years, and I enjoy the livery. Thumb nose is ugly, but at least it haven’t got a shark wing.. yet anyway.

Renault – 4 – Livery is a big step down from last year. I hate the amount of black at the rear of the car. Black is just so dull, and I can’t understand why so many teams are so obsessed with using it. They should have had black, but used it like they did in 2010. Shape of the car is nice apart from the thumb nose.

Force India – 2 – This car is just foul. The nose, the sail, it’s just awful. The livery is once again dull and unimaginative their worst since they have been in F1. What’s wrong with some colour?!

Mercedes – 9 – Brilliant car shape. The nose is great and they have avoided the shark wing. My favourite car shape since 2008. The livery is a step down from last year. I don’t like the extra green they have added.

Ferrari – 5 – The sidepods are brilliant and unique. The livery is awful. The white shark fin looks stupid, and I really hate the usage of black on the bottom of the car. As long as they have that Maltboro inspired logo on their engine cover, it will always be bad.

Mclaren – 4 – I love the orange they have chosen, but I absolutely hate the way they have used it. The weird black curve on the shark fin, and the black triangle just in front of the cockpit; looks so stupid. Overall the livery looks tacky and cheap and a huge disappointment.
    The shark fin/sail is horrible and so is the nose.

0verall the car shapes are he best they have been since 2008. I just wish the shark fins didn’t come back, the thumb noses would dissapear, and the cars weren’t so long! The liveries this year are a step down from 2016. Sauber has improved, and so has Mclaren by adding a it if colour to the grid as tacky as it is.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice to sea the different views. Looks like we all agree on Force India, but Renault and McLaren seem to get different opinions.

After today, I might add Williams:

Williams – 6 – Basic livery and although the Martini sponsoring comes out awesome in the shark fin, it’s put at the worst spot on the front of the car. It almost looks as if they don’t want to give the front any colour (just like the rest of the car). Design wise it’s conservative as has been said already, I don’t think they will break into the top 3 with this car.

Nic Morley
    Participant

After seeing the ‘sail’ on the Williams I’m going to reduce my score for them to a 5. It looks horrible and completely ruins the look of the ‘faster more aggressive’ 2017 cars. The Williams from side on looks like a Limo. Sauber and Renault are the only ones who have done okay shark fins, 2008 style.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

1. Mercedes – 9 – Brilliant car, the whole thing looks fantastic. I like the additions to he livery with those stripes.
    2. Renault – 9 – I love the car shape and the fin looks nice on this car. The rear also looks good and the livery is brilliant too.
    3. Red Bull – 8 – This is the best livery on the grid, as good as last season. However the nose doesn’t look very nice and the whole car is basic.
    4. Toro Rosso – 8 – Same story was Red Bull, a great livery but the nose doesn’t look very nice aswell.
    5. Ferrari – 8 – The car is so aggressive, the side pods looks great. Expecting a lot this season from them.
    6. Haas – 8 – Also a nice looking car, this is a great incorporation of a grey livery (McLaren 2015 was the opposite). The shark fin works well too.
    7. McLaren – 8 – To be honest I quite like the orange livery a lot! It is striking and in my opinion not too shabby as others make it to out to be.
    8. Williams – 7 – A lovely livery in all honesty, but that car is so boring. Looks like 2016 and isnt agressive enough in my opinion.
    9. Sauber – 7 – A nice livery which is a nice change from recent years, but the shark fins looks out of place and the nose isn’t very good looking.
    10. Force India – 3 – As you can see I adore 9 of the cars on this grid, but the tenth is a bit of a shambles. Force India have a horrible nose, a bland and plain livery and a shark fin which looks like a plastic board. And there my favourite team too….

WheelToWheel
    Participant

1. Mercedes 9/10 – Absolutely love every detail on the car, the floor is huge but impressive and the blue streaks on the livery are fascinating.

2. Renault 8/10 – Possibly better than last season is the livery and the car is made so beautifully especially the back and the shark fin looks good.

3. Ferrari 8/10 – Looks like 2015 and those barge boards are impressive tbh. Seems like a nice car and very agressive.

4. McLaren 7/10 – I don’t get the hate for this car. The orange is very nice and a good addition, but maybe too much black.

5. Sauber 7/10 – Nice looking livery, but the car itself looks grim. I like the white and blue livery but the car seeme like 2016 and the shark fin isnt great.

6. Force India 3/10 – Wow. This is so horrific I’m lost for words. The livery is the blandest silver and looks like tinfoil with a few black streaks. Then theres the penis nose which is a joke and the shark fin which is basically a plastic white board.

Damon
    Participant

1. McLaren – 9/10 fluent curvature of the nose + awesome livery making the whole look awesome
    2. Sauber – 8.5/10 great livery that almost makes the looks of this car on its own
    —-
    3. Mercedes – 8/10 neutral design with nice livery
    4. Renault – 7/10
    5. Williams – 6/10
    5. Toro Rosso – 6/10
    —-
    7. Haas – 5/10
    8. Redbull – 4/10
    9. Force India – 3/10
    10. Ferrari – 2.5/10 – everything’s bad about this car – the “broken plank” nose, the silhouette, the livery

Damon
    Participant

1. McLaren – 9/10 fluent curvature of the nose + awesome livery making the whole look awesome
    2. Sauber – 8.5/10 great livery that almost makes the looks of this car on its own
    —-
    3. Mercedes – 8/10 neutral design with nice livery
    4. Renault – 7/10
    5. Williams – 6/10
    5. Toro Rosso – 6/10
    —-
    7. Haas – 5/10
    8. Redbull – 4/10
    9. Force India – 3/10
    10. Ferrari – 2.5/10 – everything’s bad about this car – the “broken plank” nose, the silhouette, the livery

I’ll be able to make a more accurate comparison when I’ll be able to have all of them in front of me on one page ;)

GeeMac
    Participant

Mercedes: 7/10. It is probably the best iteration of the livery since they’ve returned as a manufacturer team. That said, it is still just silver and turquoise and I’m not sure the colours really work together.
    Red Bull: 8/10. I like the matt design they introduced last year. Now they’ve gotten rid of the red front and rear wing endplates that Total demanded the livery is much, much better.
    Ferrari: 7/10. Predictable from the Scuderia. But it does look good. Marks off because the shade of red they picked still just isn’t right. Ferrari’s should be scarlet, not flouro red/orange.
    Force India: 3/10. Truly awful, why they have gone for so much silver really is beyond me. There is nothing about the livery that says “hey, this team is owned by Indian businessmen”. They should either go back to the black, orange, white and green livery from 2014 or to the Indian flag colours they raced in from 2009 – 2013.
    Williams: 7.5/10. Another clean take on the Martini livery. Just because it’s the same as it has been since 2014 doesn’t mean its bad. Not so sure about the JCB logo on the rear wing endplates.
    McLaren: 8.5/10: From some angles I really love this livery, I don’t understand why people were giving it so much grief when it was launched. It is orange and it looks modern, I like it. Marks off because some of the white sponsor logos aren’t quite visible against the orange.
    Toro Rosso: 10/10. It is perfect in every way. The shade of metallic blue is fantastic and I really like the use of silver for the bull and the sponsor names. Best livery of the decade so far.
    Haas: 6/10. Meh. It’s not bad, but it is a bit dull which is disappointing for a team which could essentially do whatever it wants livery wise.
    Renault: 9/10. I really like it. Classic Renault corporate colours applied to the car in a well thought out, sensible manner. It’s fresh and clean.
    Sauber: 7/10. So glad the Banco do Brasil blue and yellow livery has died because it made this proud team look like an underfunded GP3 squad. Marks off because it has a wiff of 1996 Ligier about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update to my own post due to Force India’s new livery. My previous comment said:
    – Force India: 5 – that nose, ugh! average at best for all other angles, side is best

Now it’s:
    – Force India: 6 – that nose, ugh! But a nice stand-out livery, daring, though not aggressive/cool.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.