F1

RBR Front wing…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rucknar
    Participant

I’m as tired of this debate as most people, interesting idea on the flexibility in the article below…

http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2011/05/red-bulls-front-wing-cables.html

Asanator
    Participant

Very interesting idea!

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Craig Scarborough said on Twitter that they’re most likely just pressure sensors.

DavidS
    Participant

Could very well be.

The wires do not have to support the wing under aerodynamic load, the amount of load they must support is only the difference between the FIA load test and the load the front wing assembly naturally supports. So the wires don’t really have to hold that much load, and can be relatively thin.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Now, i believe that Red Bull’s wings do flex, we can all see it in fairness… so is this not going to cause massive problems however under braking for turn 12 at Turkey, thats ridiculously bumpy and even the Macca’s front wings are nearly hitting the floor without flexing?

Cacarella
    Participant

Under braking the load on the front wing is not as high and the wing goes

back to a non-flexed position.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

ah, thank you for clearing that up for me :)

James_mc
    Participant

The only reason I think that there’s something really fishy about the front wing (other than just “regular” material flexing under load) is that when Vettel’s new-spec wing broke at Silverstone last year (resulting in Webber having his confiscated) and it broke in a very odd fashion, almost like it had been knocked out of a holder or something.

(http://www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2010/833/tv_images/saturday.html) “8th” picture – 2nd row, far right.

f1alex
    Participant

Yeah James, that’s what seems weird to me too. Does anyone remember those pictures from the winter that showed the whole nose section flexing, not just the wing, which if true could go some way to explaining that dodgy failure on Vettel’s car.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That photo does look akward!

AndrewTanner
    Participant

This does seem like a plausible explanation but it doesn’t strike me as quite there yet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.