F1

Red Bull: The 4 car team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zadak

Red Bull and Torro Rosso
    I know they are different teams, they make their own cars and have different designers.

However, to someone new to Formula 1 the two different Red Bull teams may be confusing. The biggest thing seperating them is their pace. Red Bull is at the front and Torro rosso is in the middle.
    What if Torro Rosso got a lot faster and started winning regularly?
    What if the two front rows of the grid were Red Bull?
    Would the FIA put a new rule in so we can’t have two teams owned by the same people?
    And why haven’t Ferrari just made another team instead of going on about three car teams?

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Toro Rosso actually had apole & won a race before Red Bull did.
    They also scored more championship points that year.
    Ferrari don’t want to have to set up a completely separate infrastructure & all that entails to run a 3rd car.
    Deitrich bought Jaguar & Minardi as2 separate existing entities.

GeeMac
    Participant

They are very much 2 separate teams, with two fundamentally different design philosophies on their current cars, but you are correct, the fact that there are 4 cars out there with Red Bull written on them is confusing to casual fans.

I took 2 friends to the race in Abu Dhabi recently and the first thing they asked me after FP1 was “Which one is Vettel, because there are at least 4 Red Bull cars out there!” Similar story with “the Lotuses”…my friend said “The Lotus cars look great in black and gold!” Thank goodness one of those problems goes away at the end of the season!

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I’ve had this problem with my house mate. Mind you, I occasionally get confused between the Red Bull and the Toro Rosso, especially looking from the side or rear. I don’t mind more than 1 team being owned by the same company, we had Honda and Super Aguri-Honda (which had no sponsorship in 2006 other than Honda itself), but it was relatively easy to differentiate between the two, especially when Honda got their pointless Earth theme going. I honestly don’t mind having more than 1 team owned by the same company, but it’s liveries that get me. I’ve noticed in the BBC Classic F1 that McLaren and Alfa Romeo (both sponsored by Malboro at the time) had almost identical liveries, majorly confusing!

Regarding Ferrari, I reckon the reason why they haven’t brought a brand new team forward is because:
    1) It can’t be called Ferrari, so what else would they call it? Fiat F1?
    2) The car would have to be built from scratch, which would involve building a brand new base and everything.
    3) Livery problem (again). Di Montizemalo would not be happy with red cars running at the back. Not for a single race let alone a few seasons.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

It used to be a bit more confusing but this year all the extra gold on the Toro Rosso and the red rear wing makes it much easier to differentiate it. With the commentators and on screen information as well I don’t think it should really be much of a problem for occasional viewers to realise they’re separate teams. It’s just a case of two teams having the same major sponsor, and this isn’t the first time it’s happened.

That said, the other week a major regional newspaper captioned a picture of Buemi with “World Champion Sebastian Vettel” so perhaps I’m wrong…

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

craig-o, would’nt it be wonderful to see the Maserati name in F1 again with the iconic 3 pronged fork. Ferrari have a few other names they could use which would not be out of place in F1, Lancia comes to mind.

Dan Thorn, I never have a problem differentiating between the RB & the TR, I just check for the yellow air intake & nose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.