F1

Red Bull wing flexing again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dennis
    Participant

Here’s a picture from today’s practice sessions of Vettel on the main straight.

http://i55.tinypic.com/3305qax.jpg

And here is another in the first corner.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/vett_redb_melb_2011-22.jpg

Not to mention the wing looks significantly lower than other front wings.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/butt_mcla_melb_2011.jpg

Is it just me/angles of the pictures?

BarnstableD
    Participant

Very well spotted. It may be the angle of the pic but it does look like it’s flexing quite a bit.

dam00r
    Participant

Red Bulls have some kind of suspensions that forces the wing down when it gets pressured.

I think it has a kind of “lift” system underneath, with 2 level settings.

Like putting your arm off your joint and back again

TommyB
    Participant

Wonder how long it will take for McLaren to start moaning about it again. They go through strict tests and they’ve been deemed legal so I can’t see a problem.

Scribe
    Participant

I’ve a question, does the flexy wing just increase downforce, or does it make it more efficient.

I hear that Rebulls whole nose bends now changing their front wings angle, fiendishly clever, even gets the neutral middle bit to stop creating lift, but is that just a straight downforce increaser, or a relative drag reducer at the same time?

I’d love to see an article explaing exactly why you’d want to bend your front wing, an what the effect on the rest of the car is.

dam00r
    Participant

It increases downforce and fast cornering stability

Scribe
    Participant

How and why?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

It does look very low on the straight, much lower than on the corner shot…is that not the wrong way round?

Hare
    Participant

Flexing?

Yes, it’s flexing it’s muscle.

Scribe
    Participant

Ironically F1 cars acheive peak downforce only at the top speeds they reach on the straights when it’s almost completley useless to them, which makes clear the attraction of stalling things and movable parts all the more clear. It follows that the wings are lower when pushed down hardest on the straights, which is why I wondered whether the wings contributed to things besides downforce, on the other hand Redbulls low top speed is probably an example of the extreme downforce their bits and bobs produce. The more we found out about the Redbulls the more you have to marvel at the genius on display, there’s always another thing and the all encompasing superiority of everything their car does becomes more apparent.

Any other thoughts?

JT19
    Participant

I think the nose flexes as well.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Maybe the car is just that good that it’s a side-effect…dare I say almost ground-effect?

Scribe
    Participant

Nah, ground effect is a bout pulling the car to the ground by the creation of a vaccum, RB’s wings are about variable flow and downforce creation. What the many varied flow of the redbull does is the interesting thing. An no one really seems to know, someone sick an aerodynamisist on it.

AN vote for my suugested article here (right at the bottom :( http://skribit.com/blogs/f1fanatic get Keith to throw John Beamer at the question, I wonder how you’d go about asking Scarbs?

F1Yankee
    Participant

the tech regs test for wing flexing, not nose flexing. in medium to high speed turns, where the red bulls are dominant, even the mandated middle section (which produces some lift) is producing downforce. the angle of attack increases, as does the ground effect.

Scribe
    Participant

Yes, I know, but is that all? I know the angle of attack is increased, but what does that to do to the rest of the car, are they merley taking reduced straight line speed in return for higher cornering speed this way?

Does lowering the wing angle really increase ground effect if there is no seal, can there be a ground effect with no seal to create a vaccum? Is there a confusion between the ground effects cars ban’d in the late 80’s and lower ride hights today. What effect do other felxi bits have, an why try and run your car lower, I know it increases efficiency BUT WHY? Why now they have flexing other bits have the other teams been so unimaginative ;)?

Why haven’t the FIA figured out how to ban this dangerous mess?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.