• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 5 hours, 42 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Red flag – was it necessary?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lin1876 Lin1876 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TheJudge
    TheJudge

I agree. Altough drivers were reporting that the cars was just aquaplaning all over the track,I don’t understand one thing. Why are they so worried about the safety ? The speeds in these kind of conditions are not fast and the run-off areas at sepang are quite wide for the drivers escape unhurt and cars taken off the track in one peas.
    If i Remember correctly,then the FIA said this: The codnitions on track are wery dangerous,even the safety car is in danger.

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

As much as a red flag delay disrupts the race, what would be worse is if the race was ruined under the SC, by some drivers going off and worse, taking the top drivers with them. How annoying to find that once the SC was in, as conditions improved to find only half a dozen cars left on the track.

Profile photo of Asanator
    Asanator
    Participant

I’m not sure that would ruin a race @katederby! In fact I have quite enjoyed many a chaotic race where leading drivers have slithered off the track due to the conditions. Sure it can be frustrating if it is one of ‘your’ drivers or teams, but that is and always has been the nature of F1. Rather than laps behind the safety car or Red Flagging a race, I would rather see a return of Extreme Wets or ‘Monsoon’ tyres and teams having to adjust the ride heights of cars to cope.

Profile photo of katederby
    katederby
    Participant

Fine if the chaos is in a real race situation, what I was referring to is the Safety Car situation where it’s not racing but still the bad conditions result in drivers being punted off.
    But yes, if we have genuine wet tyres that means racing can continue then I’d rather see racing from lights to flag with no cautions or stoppages.

Profile photo of GeorgeDaviesF1
    GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

If its choice between 20+ odd laps behind Safety Car or 50 mins on the grid with chance of more racing, then I’d take red flag

Profile photo of Lin1876
    Lin1876
    Participant

There is certainly something to be said for the notion that if it’s wet then you should just go at a slower speed, and it is certainly worth noting that going back further, to races like Spain 1996 or Australia 1989 the race continued while those unable to cope spun off. It led to some surprise results, and also allowed a good driver to really shine. Having said that, there is a difference between a really wet race and monsoon conditions, which we saw in Malaysia. The fact is that these cars aquaplane very easily if there is enough standing water, and I dare say that the race would have been stopped 10 years ago.

On the other hand, I do feel that if the race is stopped, then there should be one lap behind the safety car on the restart then the cars should be allowed to go. If the safety car is out for so long everyone is ready to change onto Intermediates, then there is something wrong there, but that’s a different matter.

So to answer your question, I think the red flag was the right call in Malaysia because the cars would have aquaplaned off otherwise. Although I do see your point, and I think we all have things we would like to see change.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.