F1

"RedBull Infinity" – Annoucement 31.01.11

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Calum
    Participant

It’s back:

Quick summary for those who don’t know.

RedBull Racing have been using Renault engines for a few years now, Nissan work closely in Europe with Renault in the Renault-Nissan Alliance where they share manufacturing plants ect, and Nissan apparently want to rebadge the RedBull team’s Renault engine to ‘Infinity’ – the name of the Nissan luxory car division.

An announcemnet is expected on 31/01/2011 regarding the situation between RedBull and Infinity.

Will it be an engine announcement as originally thought as far back as December?

Seems the most likely out of all the choices.

Will it be an unexpected buy out from the Japanese manufactuer?

Sounds too unrealistic considering the recent RBR success, can’t imaging they want to sell up – RedBull are not exactly needing cash!

Will it be title sponsorship similar to Lotus Renault GP?

Sounds reasonable.

I guess all will become apparent on 31/01/11!

>Disclaimer, this could be bull for all I know, it’s taken from the resurgance of the rumour on autosport forums: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=141526<

Casanova
    Participant

Infiniti, as part of the same company as Renault (Renault & Nissan have large stakes in each other and operate as one company), won’t be buying out a race team any time soon. Bear in mind Renault had its own team until recently, and has consciously moved out of team ownership; and any sponsorship deal would be more likely through the ex-Renault squad.

I’d put money on it just being a marketing announcement, so the engines used by RBR would be badged as Infiniti rather than Renault. It’s a sensible move to take too, since Renault got little recognition in the public eye from their engine powering the championship winning car in 2010.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

These rumours have just been blown out of proportion. There is talk that the Renault engines will simply be rebadged as Infiniti to coincide with Infiniti’s push into the European market. However, the suggestion that they are planning to buy Red Bull entirely is ridiculous.

Icthyes
    Participant

Red Bull Infinity would be the worst F1 name since Williams Mechachrome and Benneton Playlife

Calum
    Participant

Rebadge – probable

Buy out – no chance, they would have simply bought Renault last year.

Sponsor – maybe.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

no idea about the rumours.. but RedBull isn’t sitting 100% pretty on the budget.

there were reports that they overspent, etc.. can’t remember the article.

once again,, IF I HEAR ONE MORE BLOODY NAMING DISPUTE

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Steve it won’t be a naming dispute. Infiniti is the luxury brand of Nissan. Nissan and Renault have a relationship together – they’re sister compaies. All it will take is for Nissan/Infiniti to pay a pre-decided amount to Renault in order to rebrand the engine. Renault has the right to accept or decline that offer at will. There is no capacity for dispute, because it’s all internal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Red Bull Infiniti. I like it.

tyngdekraft
    Participant

Announcement on monday

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Got a source for that? Because an annoucement was expected a month ago, and it never eventuated. So pardon me if I’m a little sceptical.

ed24f1
    Participant

I think these tweets from Adam Hay-Nicolls started the rumours again

‘”Major luxury automotive brand enters F1 with world championship winning team, says a press release from the PRISM agency today. Who and Who?”

“It’s a marketing and tech agreement, says the spiel. First thought was Audi and Red Bull, but why brief in London not Austria?”

“Anyway, F1 press will get the skinny on Monday in London and then there’s a public announcement at the Geneva Motor Show”

“I’m almost certain it’s Red Bull Racing – Infiniti. Sold!”‘

http://twitter.com/AdamHayNicholls

Like many, I hoped it would be Audi coming in, but it seems too early for any announcement from them.

I wouldn’t say Infiniti is a ‘major’ brand, but of course, that comment comes from a PR agency, so they are always going to play up the brand.

There are even some rumours of it being Jaguar coming in with Williams (!), but it seems odd that they wouldn’t announce it at the launch last week (although maybe there were contractual problems with Cosworth)

Skett
    Participant

I’d love it to be jaguar and williams, but it seems unlikely since cosworth was fairly noticable on the new livery.

Though I suppose they could be a new sponsor to fill up that big gap on the sidepod.

Anyways, back on topic. Red Bull Infiniti does have a nice ring to it, but if its really just gonna be a rebadged renault then its really just same old and I’m not too interested

S.J.M
    Participant

I remember reading (think on Planetf1’s forum) about Redbull/Infinity which someone posted around January before the testing started but nothing came and it just got forgotten.

Will be intetesting, this would be as a engine builder perhaps? Horners always banging on about the lack of BHP in the Renault compared to Ferrari/Mercedes engines. Timing is strange given the regs change in 2 years (and a lot can happen with Teams and ownerships in that time). Intersting stuff.

US_Peter
    Participant

Timing is strange given the regs change in 2 years (and a lot can happen with Teams and ownerships in that time). Intersting stuff.

That lends credibility to theory of it being Red Bull/Infinity with a rebadged Renault engine, as it makes little sense that a new engine manufacturer would be trying to enter under the current regulations.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’d love it to be jaguar and williams, but it seems unlikely since cosworth was fairly noticable on the new livery.

Huh? Nobody is talking about Williams rebadging their engines …

Will be intetesting, this would be as a engine builder perhaps?

No. Infiniti is Nissan’s luxury car brand. Nissan and Renault have a unique working relationship. If the Red Bull-Infiniti deal works out, it will be a Renault RS27 engine rebadged as an Infiniti for marketing purposes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.