F1

Reversed grids in Formula 1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    OllieJ
    Participant

Hi, I couldn’t find an older thread about reversed grids but I’ll happily move this post if there is one.
    Unsurprisingly there seems to be very little support for reversed grids. Obviously it would be a massive change to the sport, but I thought I’d have a think of how it could work without denigrating the sporting contest.
    First of all, I think we can dismiss Bernie’s ‘points ballast’ as too complicated and GP2-style ‘reverse the top X places’ as too gimmicky and unsporting.

The model I’ve come up with is based on the highly effective BRISCA stock cars model:
    You have a qualifying day at the first race. This forms the grid for the first race.
    From then on the grid for each race is the reverse of the championship order. This would ensure there is no advantage to be gained by finishing last in one race to start on pole in the next.
    Saturday could be a test day, with reduced points for the fastest times (e.g. 10-6-4-3-2-1) to ensure the fastest outright cars still have a benefit.

This would force the designers to make passing easier without the need for rule changes, as cars would need to get through the field to score highly. You might get a few anomalous results early on though, I admit. DRS would make it even easier, although I’d prefer to see that gone, or at least made unlimited.

I’ve also thought of a way reversed grids is actually fairer than traditional qualifying. Currently, in the final race, if a title contender is eliminated in qualifying through no fault of his own, he’s effectively out of the championship barring freak results. This way, the championship challengers would always start together.

@olliej There’s a poll going on right now:

Should Formula One use reverse grids?

OllieJ
    Participant

Yeah I know I was one of the 2% who wouldnt mind them :)
    I thought this was a bit long for a comment though

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.