F1

RIP Jim Bamber (1948-2014)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Very sad to hear that the brilliant motorsport cartoonist Jim Bamber has passed away. I may still be relatively young, but I’ve been a fan of Bamber’s since I first discovered his iconic style of cartoons in a book I was given in the late nineties. I will very much miss his fun and amusing takes on our sport.

From Autosport:

Renowned motorsport artist and long-time AUTOSPORT cartoonist Jim Bamber has passed away after a long battle against cancer.

A former art editor of CAR magazine and Autocourse, Jim’s well-loved cartoons became a weekly staple of AUTOSPORT magazine, and his impishly satirical weekly views also featured on the AUTOSPORT.com website.

Bamber’s rally-based Yumping Yarns and Formula 1 series of books, The Pits, were also fan favourites over the past three decades.

Jim passed away peacefully on Friday afternoon at St Christopher’s hospice, where he had spent the past few weeks.

GeeMac
    Participant

Echo those sentiments entirely, we have lost a true legend. RIP Jim.

Nick
    Participant

His work was made into some merchandise for Verstappen (and maybe Schumacher, but I’m not too sure) and I’ve always had a blast when I came across his work, since we didn’t get Autosport in local shops for a long time. Shortly before he announced he was too ill to continue his work, I found his Tumblr page with nearly all of his work (though I’ve lost the URL) and spent many hours on there.

RIP Jim.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Jim was not only my favorite motorsports cartoonist, he was a phenomenal artist all-around and had a terrific sense of humor that a lot of the social media types today can only be lucky to be blessed with half as much.

I only spoke to him briefly over the internet a year and a half ago, and if I’d known it would be the only time we’d ever get in touch, I probably would have held onto that better. This is a loss that really hurts for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to get autosport every other week in the mid-late nineties and his cartoons were a highlight. Loved how he drew the drivers helmets as their heads, almost like they were all ‘Stigs’. As someone who loved art, I often found myself drawing F1 pictures in his style.

So thank you Jim, you shall be missed by many.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.