F1

Ronnie Peterson at Zolder?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    credible58
    Participant

I have a memory of Ronnie Peterson spinning out of a GP and restarting at the back of the pack. He then produced an absolutely stunning drive to get a podium. I’m sure it was at Zolder and I think it was in a Lotus. If I remember rightly Zolder is near the coast and sand used to blow across the track.

Does anyone remember this? Was it 1978? I’ve tried to Google it but can’t find a reference.

Cheers…Paul

Icthyes
    Participant

I don’t know for sure, but checking through various internet sources Peterson did come 2nd in the 1978 Belgian Grand Prix and Zolder did have sand hills.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

The track-by-the-coast with sand blowing across you describe sounds more like Zandvoort, truth be told.

jihelle
    Participant

Zandvoort is in Netherlands and Zolder in (Dutch speaking) Belgium. Not too far off from each other but quite different tracks. I went through Peterson’s races and none fits the description. Are you sure it was an F1 race ? It could have been during his F2 days…

credible58
    Participant

Cheers guys.

I found highlights of Zandvoort 1978 on Youtube and it was Andretti followed by Peterson start to finish. So it wasn’t that one but Zandvoort is a good idea. You’re right about the sand a Zandvoort, you can see it along the side of the track.

I’ll keep searching.

jihelle
    Participant

The only race that could match your description is Zandvoort 1971

If you go to this site

http://www.ronniepeterson.se/eng_index.html

and click on “races” then “Formula One” on the left colum, then on the year 1971 and then Zandvoort further down it will tell you (in swedish)that he started the race in 13th position on a March, that the weather was bad with episodes of rain and that he moved ahead of the field, ending the race in fourth position after passing Surtees in the last laps. Could it be it ? And by the way that is the most accurate and complete website about SuperSwede. Most of it is in English but some is only “paa svenska”. It will give you a good resumé of every race Ronnie participated in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.