F1

Rookie of the Year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Autosport’s opened voting for its Rookie of the Year award but I wondered you thought deserved that title? In F1 and then also across every series?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can we include Kobayashi or Alguersuari?

If so, I’d say

1st – Kobayashi

2nd – Alguersuari

3rd – Petrov

4th – Chandhok

5th – Di Grassi

6th – Hulkenberg

David-A
    Participant

Yeah, I tend to include those in their first full season. Though how is Hulkenburg doing worse than Petrov and the others?

1. Kobayashi

2. Hulkenburg

3. Alguersuari

4. Chandhok

5. Senna

6. Petrov

7. Di Grassi

Scribe
    Participant

His name was Kamui, he was a showgirl! Insert Japanese culture referance here

Das Hulk

Vitaltacha

Lol Chandock

Di Grassissississiii

Not his uncle by any stretch of the imagination

Alguersuari, the man invisible beyond comment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1st – Kobayashi

2nd – Alguersuari

3rd – Petrov

4th – Chandhok

5th – Di Grassi

6th – Hulkenberg

I go fully with daykinds suggestions but for me the 3 in there than have done the best are

Hulkenberg-i know he has had some bad moments but he has been quite solid.

Kobayashi-Impressed at his performance in Japan so he goes on the top 3

Alguersuari-MASSIVE improvement on last season he has turned into a decent driver for the Toro Rosso team

James_mc
    Participant

1st – Kobayashi

2nd – Petrov

3rd – Hulkenberg

4th – Algusuari

5th – Di Grassi

sbl on tour
    Participant

no one, there are all/will be pants!

at best journeymen

sblot

David-A
    Participant

no one, there are all/will be pants!

Oh, yeah, look how pants Alonso and Webber were after spending a year in a rubbish Minardi.

electrolite
    Participant

Kobayashi and Alguersuari have impressed me most. Di grassi, Hulkenberg and Petrov from time to time. Chandhok would sit somewhere in the middle as he’s only had half a season.

sbl on tour
    Participant

crickey almighty, come on, you cant compare alonso and webber to some of these guys,

David-A
    Participant

Alonso and Webber drove the worst cars on the grid in their first year, so weren’t really able to show us what they were capable of on a regular basis, just as a few of the rookies this year are.

Some of them in better machinery than a Virgin or HRT (like Kobayashi, Hulkenburg) have shown at least some potential, so therefore it’d be just naive to write them off to the extent you just did in only their first season.

Scribe
    Participant

Lol, David, Alonso was outqualifying his teamate by whole seconds in the Minardi, he was snapped by Renault for a test drive straight away and Schumacher identified him as the big threat, while Raikkonen and Montoya where in their supposed “Heir Apparent” pomp. It was clear.

Webber not so much, but he scored in that thing.

The only potential champion is Hulkenburg on past performances, Kobayashi might win a race or two.

Hulk possible champ, have to sort it out

Kobayashi Possible winner.

The rest of them, journeymen at best.

David-A
    Participant

A couple of them looking very good in their first season (as you even pointed out) isn’t the same broad statement as “all will be pants”, which was what I was responding to. Give ’em a chance first, then write ’em off Scribe/sbl.

Enigma
    Participant

1) Kobayashi. He is doing a great job. He didn’t seem very fast in GP2, but he’s amazing in f1, and it’s great fun to watch him.

2) Hulkenberg. People expected too much. He won the GP2 championship last year and people expected him to beat Rubens straight away. Rubens is very fast and Nico is still a rookie – despite that he’s beaten him on occasions and has usually been close to him.

3) Petrov. Seems fast when he’s feeling confident, but he’s awful in qualifying and makes too many errors. But it’s not easy to have Kubica as your team mate, is it?

Alguersuari is no rookie this year, and it’s impossible to say anything for Senna, di Grassi and Chandhok.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought I’d finally do mine as I was a bit pressed for time before.

1/ Hulkenberg. Barely any testing but sometimes he’s bang on Rubens pace if not faster. That is very, very rare to see I feel. His racing has been all over the place though and that so nearly made me put my second choice first.

2/ Petrov. Sometimes off the pace but has the hardest team mate of all the rookies. His sometimes daft mistakes have cost him the top spot. He’s a pure racer, had a great Hungary weekend and usually gets blinding starts. He has something he just needs more consistency and more mileage. If he gets the Renault seat for a second year hopefully it’ll give him a boost.

3/ Kobayashi. A pure racing machine but his qualifying performances have sometimes been dreadful even compared to Pedro. He’s also had a few races and testing which doesn’t mean mcuh but every little helps. Could be a star one day and he’s made the most of all his Sunay’s but sometimes because his Saturday’s or so poor he has to go crazy.

4/ Jaime. I don’t really count him as a rookie but I may as well as others have stuck him in. I thought I saw some promise in him but he’s still at times really struggling just against Buemi after more than a year. STR doesn’t have the best history of managing its drivers but I did expect more. He showed aggression at Aus and Spain but apart from that and maybe some raw speed at Singapore I’ve forgotten about him.

The rest. Too hard to judge but probably Senna then Karun then Lucas.

In the other series:

Hulk, Pet, Kob, Bianchi tied with Bird, Kimi and then I can’t remember the other rookies :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.