F1

Rosberg being jammy using the points system

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sato113
    Participant

Really don’t like how Rosberg almost took the LEAD of the championship in hungary for a 2nd placed finish (Thanks to RIC for making things fair though!)
    I find it really unjust how Rosberg can just plod around during the championship following Hamilton home in 2nd place every race and when Hamilton has a retirement, ONE bad race, or some bad luck, Rosberg can convert a single win into a serious title charge. Out of nothing!
    25 points for a win, 0 for a bad race. it keeps things exciting for sure, but it creates really unfair situations.

Ok this isn’t exactly accurate as Rosberg has had a genuine win here and there, but hopefully you understand where I’m coming from.

(I posted this already, but can’t find it when I browse the forums???!!)

Michal
    Participant

It’s more of a reflection of F1 current state with Mercedes dominance etc. than F1’s points system.

dragoll
    Participant

Keke Rosberg, Nico’s father, won the 1982 WDC with only 1 victory throughout the entire season. Wouldn’t that be a great xmas story in the Rosberg family household.

glynh
    Participant

I quite like the points as they are,it’s a gran prix not a sprint race,sometimes it’s best not to take risks but there’s a good gap in the points to reward those who do go flat out.
    Besides in the example given it wouldn’t be any better for Hamilton to win after crashing out and his teammate keeping second.

In an extreme case Hamilton could crash out of 3 races and still win with rosberg only getting seconds so it will be interesting to see what happens if rosberg doesn’t start getting some better results.

sato113
    Participant

The upshot is that a lesser driver can win a championship my coming 2nd in races and waiting for team mate failures. That’d be a travesty! It’s so cheap

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

On the flip side, reverse the pit decision at Monaco and it would read: Hamilton 212, Rosberg 174, Vettel 157, which is probably a better reflection of the current season so far, with gaps of 38 and 17 instead of 21 and 21. Vettel was also unlucky to lose a position in Bahrain by clipping his wing on the gravel, so without that he would only be 14 behind Rosberg, or a single 3rd place.. in my personal count, I have 216, 185 and 162.

sato113
    Participant

sounds better :)

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Bahrain I think he lost only 2 points, and it was driver caused, so the better example would be the pit snafu in Austria which lost him 3 points to Massa. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not fair to blame Rosberg for being ‘jammy,’ by the end of each season a driver about to win the title will always drive for the points they need to win the title – even if it means not going for a win.

You could say if Hamilton had gone for safe points in the Chinese race 2007 rather than the win, he would have pitted earlier and not thrown it into the gravel – and would have the 2007 title to his collection!

And you cannot hand out a reward just because someone had a ‘bad race’ or ‘bad luck’ – non-finish = no points, you can’t do anything else.

Matthijs
    Participant

With the current points system it’s more difficult for the championship leader to build up a points gap, but it also means that it’s more difficult to play catch up for all the others. So it’s not a unfair system per se.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Oddly enough, under the 03 points system which arguably rewarded second place more, the gap would be eight points, so not far off the 21 points which it currently stands at. Vettel would be a further ten points behind Rosberg.

Girts
    Participant

The 1991-2002 points system, which rewarded winning more, would give Hamilton a bigger advantage over Rosberg (13 points or a victory and a fourth place) but it would also mean that Vettel would trail Hamilton by 24 points (two victories and a third place) instead of 42 (a victory and a second place) under the current system. That would probably not be fair, given how good Vettel has been this year.

As for this season, Mercedes’ dominance makes Rosberg look a bit stronger in the standings than he has been on the track but Hamilton has also made several errors and you cannot say that he has blown away his team mate.

Every points system might seem unfair in certain situations but I think that currently we have an acceptable balance between consistency and rewarding victories. Personally, I would rather reduce the difference between the points’ scorers than increase it.

In fact, almost every sport rewards consistency to some extent and fastest, strongest or most impressive athletes are often beaten by their weaker but more stable competitors. For instance, just one missed dive / run / jump can easily lose you the Olympic medal.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Not being all doomy here but can you name anything fair in F1?

Caroline Geddes
    Participant

Not exactly on topic, but in a few races even though he has been behind Hamilton, Rosberg has been pitted first, giving him the advantage. I know this has been to undercut the car behind as Mercedes work towards the best team result rather than favouring either driver. Can anyone remember Lewis benefitting in the same way? I am not suggesting conspiracy – I know there are different circumstances in different races, but just thought it was intereesting.

@lass321 Spain this year is the first example that comes to mind:

Copying Hamilton’s strategy “not our plan” – Vettel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.