F1

Rosberg criticises “disrespectful” autographs industry

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Interesting remarks from Nico Rosberg on Twitter about people buying and selling drivers’ autographs:

“Been many times but this afternoon 1st time Walked around entire Goodwood Festival of Speed incognito. Very cool event. Tomorrow driving car… But sucks how many stands are selling loads of signed memorabilia from us drivers. Find that disrespectful.”

http://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/statuses/219159410231095296
    http://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/statuses/219160130095292416

Button retweeted him adding “totally agree”:

Girts
    Participant

I have to say I agree with Rosberg and Button. I have never bought any photos or other items signed by drivers. First, I cannot be sure that they’re real. Second, it’s uninteresting and unemotional.

It is sometimes possible to get autographs even if you don’t go to races and don’t buy them. I have three autographs and I’ve obtained them in different ways.

The first one is from Heikki Kovalainen. I won it in the 2009 predictions championship organised by his official fansite (unless I’m mistaken, I was tied on points with @Enigma ).

The second comes from Marlon Stockinger, the Filipino-Swiss GP3 driver, who recently celebrated his first victory in the series (at Monaco). I got it sent to me after simply applying for it on the GP2/GP3 website (the series offered such an opportunity some months ago).

The third and the most personal one is from Alex Yoong, the former Malaysian F1 driver. I had bought his biography and left some positive feedback on his blog. He replied to me by saying he would sign it if I sent it to him. I did so now I have an autograph and a personal message from Alex Yoong.

robk23
    Participant

I have autographs from Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button, Paul di Resta and Nico Rosberg and I got them all honestly, I wouldn’t have any interest in buying autographs which would have no meaning to me.

Bullfrog
    Participant

How did Nico manage to walk undisturbed around a venue full of race fans…was he in disguise? Sounds like he appreciated not having things thrust in his face to sign all the time – I must admit I’ve never seen the appeal of it.

necrodethmortem
    Participant

The only autographs I ever asked for were from Belgian motocrossers Ronny Weustenraed and Rudi Van Leeuwen, when I was about 7, because my dad said I should try it. Didn’t find it special.

What was special is that I went to uni with Ronny Weustenraed’s nephew and that I told him to tell his uncle I used to be a fan and later he told me his uncle remembered giving me the autograph, because apparently nobody else ever asked for any :D I was a fan because the English commentators couldn’t pronounce their names right. Ronny Woostenraht and Roodi Van Leewen xD

vinicius.jlantunes
    Participant

I was gifted two autographs by a US work colleague, from Coulthard and Raikonnen. Our company sponsors McLaren and there being one of the headquarters, every now and then drivers show up and tons of signed stuff are given away. But the world is so unfair – they don’t give a damn to it, thats why it was given to me.
    There is even a McLaren MP4/12 in permanent display in front of the cafeteria that people pass by undisturbed. I have some pictures which I will try to upload somewhere and link, in case anyone is interested.
    I would agree with comments by most here that buying such stuff is not as fun. I was quite happy when I was gifted the ones I have though…

andae23
    Participant

I actually feel sorry for people who buy a driver’s autograph: they are in possession of an object that has no value to them at all, but as a result of having it, the only way it would make them feel better is by bragging about it to friends. Sad people…

I never asked a driver for his autograph because of the before mentioned reason. The only time I got close was at last year´s German GP: I wished Adrian Sutil good luck and he replied with ‘thank you!’. My comment obviously affected his results in a good way: he finished sixth in that race!

matt90
    Participant

I have a few models signed by drivers, bought with the signatures on, from a company where the drivers signed a set number of models in the knowledge they would be sold on. To me, it adds meaning to a model, and I am proud to own it, regardless of whether I collected the signature myself. I would’t see the point or pleasure in buying an autograph unless it was on a very interesting/relevant piece of memorabilia though.

Lin1876
    Participant

I don’t get buying autographs. Even harvesting them at an autograph session (as I’ve done a few times at Knockhill) is better, as you at least get to meet the driver (or whoever it is).

My favourite encounter was when I met Jeoren Slaghekke in Formula Ford after he was taken out when someone misjudged their braking point. He wasn’t in the best mood, but we talked about Knockhill, Snetterton and Zandvoot until the race finished and he had to go back to the paddock. It was better than any autograph session, though I do wish I had a pen!

BradFerrari
    Participant

I agree with their comments, but maybe they should consider just how difficult it is to get signatures and what fans go through to get them. Not everyone is lucky enough to encounter them, let alone manage to get their signature. I would never buy them myself because they don’t have any significance or connection to me personally. A signature should be reminder of meeting your favourite driver(s) or even attending a race.

I remember back in 2009 when I lined up for 2.5 hours to get driver signatures from my favourite team, Massa and Raikkonen. They ended up arriving 15 minutes late and left 5 minutes early, staying for only 10 minutes. Unfortunately I didn’t get them and was left disappointed but still very happy to see them.

This year I was well prepared in advanced with top quality prints of each driver. I managed to get signatures from Alonso, Massa, Vettel and Webber at the Australian GP after lining up for 4 hours. I was so happy to finally get signatures after many attempts and will cherish them forever. Their now proudly hanging on my living room wall and remind me when I met some of my favourite drivers (not too keen on Webber :P).

Bendanarama
    Participant

I agree with their comments, but maybe they should consider just how difficult it is to get signatures and what fans go through to get them. Not everyone is lucky enough to encounter them, let alone manage to get their signature. I would never buy them myself because they don’t have any significance or connection to me personally. A signature should be reminder of meeting your favourite driver(s) or even attending a race.

I don’t think the problem is so much the fans getting the signatures, its the signature ‘Industry’ that pulls this sort of thing.

It reminds of a story I read about David Tennant and PAtrick Stewart – When they were doing Hamlet in London, they stopped signing autographs out the back of the theatre because people were rocking up with whole crates of Doctor Who and Star Trek merchandise for them to sign, with the clear intention of selling them. I don’t think Rosberg or Button have any problem with fans getting signed merchandise, I think they have a problem with people getting them to sign for the express intention of selling it.

BradFerrari
    Participant

I guess it would be difficult to distinguish between fans wanting their signature for themselves and people wanting them to make money.

Estesark
    Participant

What value does an autograph hold anyway? I just don’t understand the appeal, maybe because I don’t buy into the culture of celebrity as much as everyone else. If there’s someone famous I admire/respect, I’m happy just to meet them without needing a scribble on a piece of paper / whatever else to prove it.

Drivers should start making their autographs more personal, for example by asking who it’s for, then writing “To X, from Y”. Things signed in that way can mean just as much, if not more to the fan who’s getting it, but are worth a lot less when being sold. Even if it takes more time, and even if that means fewer fans overall will get autographs, I’d say it’s worth it. Fans should try to understand.

robbiepblake
    Participant

I got Rosberg’s autograph at last year’s Goodwood Festival, along with many other drivers.

It felt special getting those because I waited ages to get to the front, fought with others to secure that spot, when they arrived I actually met them, got to speak to them and they smiled and spoke back. And best of all I got them to sign my things for free.

Memories are far more important than items.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.