F1

RULES DESTROY F1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

First post and need to voice this ,,,,i have been watching f1 for 35 years i have been all over the world to 90% of the track and now i find myself losing faith ,To many rules and regs are messing it up drivers are scared to go wheel to whell incase they are penalized here are my rules for f1.

no more than 850 hp all new tech must be agrred on my all team heads , stick shift 3000cc engines and also cetain diamentions ,,,, and thats it let them race let them explore new tech and race

Interesting ideas.

If I can thrown my opinion in, I’ve been watching F1 for as long as I can remember and I think the rules are better now than they ever have been before throughout my life following this sport. The racing this season has, for the vast majority of races, been exceptionally exciting. I have to put a lot of that down to this season’s regulations and the many major decisions made over the last few years in regards to cost-saving and new technologies. I hope things stay this way for the foreseeable future.

Asanator
    Participant

The Stewards are investigating more because the Drivers have asked them to!

glue
    Participant

what I hate is this chase for high level of excitement, ‘improving the show’..F1 has become a TV show instead of a motorsport, with this generation of fans expecting Hollywood-style races every time

Anonymous
    Inactive

This season we have had some really good races.

We’ve had 3 classics (China, Canada, Britain)

We’ve had 2 good races (Australia, Malaysia)

We’ve had 2 races at tracks which are often processional (Spain, Monaco)

We’ve had one Ok race (Turkey)

And one crappy one, but that was Valencia.

Nuff said.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

The races have been enjoyable, but I would feel much better (read: have fewer niggling doubts about the legitimacy of passes) about them if it weren’t for the way the DRS works.

Kingshark
    Participant

IMO the best GP’s in 2011 were (from most to least exciting):

1) China

2) Canada

3) Britian

4) Monaco

5) Malaysia

6) Spain

7) Australia

8) Turkey

9) Valencia

Although all of them were good, apart from Valencia.

Nic Morley
    Participant

@Kingshark. That’s the exact same order I would have put them in!

shadow13
    Participant

I agree with you MBCWRAITH but some of the new rules have definitely improved the spectacle. I do think there are too many rules regarding design though. I don’t understand why when teams exploit rules they then ban whatever they’ve developed – double diffuser, f duct, blown diffuser…. The whole point of the millions of pounds that are spent on development is to come up with smart new technologies which improve the car. I don’t see why they are then took off the car as soon as the FIA can organise it. In the past there were some very innovative new features added to cars which people hadn’t even thought of before, e.g. Tyrrell with a 6 wheeled car (I’m not sure if they were the first but they’re the team I know), or Ferrari bringing in rear wings ages ago. Some of these amazing innovations back then are still used now but in 50 years will we be able to say the same or will we be saying “that was a great innovation – its a shame they banned it”.

TommyB
    Participant

I too hate the fact that we have loads of overtaking in the races and the top 5 are separated by about half a second rather than about 3 seconds. Just kidding.

I’ve watched some ‘classic’ races and to be honest they aren’t as amazing as everyone says. Take Dijon 1979, nothing happened until those famous last few laps.

F1 is more exciting and more competitive than ever. People complain it’s boring that Red Bull are always winning, well if they weren’t so strict on the rules then they’d both be lapping the whole field like the Williams and McLaren’s used to do in ‘the good old days’.

As long as the cars remain fast I don’t really care about all the technical things. I watch F1 to be entertained.

PinkMaggit

Rules are definitely necessary although I admit sometimes they are a bit harsh.

I am divided on how I would have liked to have seen the blown diffusor thing play out but what I do know is the way the FIA handled it was a complete fiasco!. The FIA should have either banned it outright at the beginning of the year. The plus side of this would be that it would have saved some of the smaller teams a load of money in development costs. They failed to do this and they then should have waited until the end of the year to ban it. The attempt to ban it half way through the season just looked like an attempt to use the rules to handicap Red Bull and thus inject some excitement back into this years championship.

There needs to be rules in place as not all the teams can afford the development cost involved and we might then have a scenario whereby the top four teams are in a totally different class to the rest. That would not be good for the sport. Then there’s rules for safety reasons (the way the F-duct was operated was just plain dangerous).Yes the cars would be way more advanced without rules but just imagine, we’d have cars with active suspension, traction control, fully automatic gearboxes and other aids which would just detract from driver skill. A lot of rules have been put in place to clean up airflow behind the cars and make overtaking easier. Rules that generally bring driver skill back to the forefront are the ones I think are really needed, otherwise it becomes a procession of who has the best machinery. Rules can be interesting too. If there were no rules for e.g. on moveable aero devices we wouldn’t have seen clever engineering solutions designed at getting around these rules (e.g f-duct).

I think the exact opposite is true, less rules would ruin F1, it would become too focused on the machinery and be less about the drivers. However having said that I do think that sometimes the FIA should not be too quick to ban certain things,just let them play out, so that we can appreciate some clever engineering solutions.

They let this happen with the F-duct at it cintributed to a fantasic season

PinkMaggit:

I think the exact opposite is true, less rules would ruin F1, it would become too focused on the machinery and be less about the drivers. However having said that I do think that sometimes the FIA should not be too quick to ban certain things,just let them play out, so that we can appreciate some clever engineering solutions.

I agree 100%. Regulations are necessary to ensure things don’t get out of hand and we end up with an even more unbalanced grid than we have already. I feel F1 needs ‘saving from itself’ sometimes and if it hadn’t been for the cost reductions and the major rules changes we’ve seen over the last few years, F1’s long-term future would have been under threat.

But I absolutely agree that the FIA are sometimes too quick to try and ban things. Over the last three seasons, the three main technical innovations we’ve seen have felt the full force of the ban-hammer; double-diffusers, F-duct and off-throttle blown diffusers. And now they are reversing their position on OTBDs because they realise so many cars are completely built around the concept. I suppose it is tricky for the FIA considering all of these innovations are more often than not bordering on illegal. But teams are always going to look for loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage. I just hope they find a way to allow technical innovation to remain a crucial aspect of success in Formula without it tarnishing the racing or resulting in an annual controversy.

PinkMaggit

Agreed Geoffrey.

The main issue seems to be how rules are implemented, not whether there are rules or not.

For example if the FIA put a rule in place that stated the engines can only use a certain amount of fuel, which would make them greener, that would be a constructive implementation of a rule as it would force the teams to come up with new technology to make them competitive.

On the other hand if one of the teams designed a component which allowed them to gain more power from the engine while using less fuel and this was promptly banned, this to me would be a self defeating rule.

In other words, rules can both encourage or hinder development, it’s how they are used that’s important

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.