F1

Russia GP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jihelle
    Participant

Russia has just agreed on the terms for organizing a GP in 2014. Petrov has saved his seat with Renault… Why don’t they organize it in winter ? We will have F1 on ice with studded tires and Kimi as the winner.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I am pleased with that! Hopefully the calendar is realised to be too big and we will lose Bahrain and Valencia. I really do think Russia is perhaps one of the most deserving countries of a Grand Prix. Any word on where it will be held? *crosses fingers it will not be a street race*

jihelle
    Participant

Sotchi I guess where the Olympic Winter Games will take place in 2014. They will have all the accomodations there but they still need a track.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I thought I knew all of the Russian cities. Obviously not. Time for Google!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

This is what the circuit will (supposedly) look like:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5947/61258.jpg

Yes, it is a street circuit, to be run around the Sochi Olympic Park right on the shore of the Black Sea. I kind of like it – it looks like a cross between Monaco and Sepang, with a lot of sections (especially in the first two thirds of the lap) that look like they will be very fast. How accurate this is, I cannot say.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Oh I see it is in South Western Russia near the Black Sea. I was expecting a race near Saint-Petersburg or Moscow. And is this the confirmed location or a guess?

NickV

Judging by PM’s link the layout would be quite good if it has some nice elevation changes. hopefully they will drop Valencia or Bahrain for this.

damonsmedley
    Participant

@PM – I am actually quite liking the look of that too. It seems nice and simple, which I like. Although it isn’t in an area of Russia I was hoping for. Sochi enjoys a relatively warm, Mediterranean climate – so I am guessing it will be like Turkey. I was liking the idea of the different climate this round would provide us with if it were in Moscow or Saint-Petersburg. Do you know if it is clockwise or anti-clockwise, Prisoner Monkeys?

jihelle
    Participant

Well the deal was signed in Sotchi by Putin and Bernie today. Now, whether it will be organized in Sotchi remains to be confirmed but that was the place they were talking about beforehand.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And is this the confirmed location or a guess?

Confirmed. Vladimir Putin and Bernie Ecclestone are there now.

the layout would be quite good if it has some nice elevation changes

No elevation changes. The elevation around Sochi is so extreme that you can’t actually build on it. Not without having hairpin after hairpin as the road climbs the side of the hill.

Besides, you don’t need elevation changes to produce good racing. Silverstone and Monza are two of the most popular races on the calendar and they have very little in the way of elevation changes.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I am actually quite liking the look of that too. It seems nice and simple, which I like. Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Clockwise. If it were anti-clockwise, there wouldn’t be any overtaking points.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Vladimir Putin and Bernie Ecclestone are there now.

I suppose there is some consolation for my earlier disappointment it wouldn’t be held in the area of Russia that the country is renowned for, a name Russia is renowned for! Vladimir, best Russian name ever.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.