F1

S. Vettel – number 2 driver?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

I think I winded a few people up with my last thread title. But here’s another thought. After Sebastian wraps the title up (be it in Suzuka or Singapore) do you think he’ll be supporting Mark to help the team get a 1-2 in the standings?

Slr
    Participant

Vettel can help Webber finish second by beating him to the title, and then Webber can help himself.

raymondu999
    Participant

What I meant was; Webber has some serious competition for 2nd. Alonso Hamilton and Button are all vying for it; so for example if in Korea Webber is just behind Vettel, will Vettel let him through?

matt90
    Participant

I’m not sure Webber would want help for second. He doesn’t strike me as somebody who would want to be gifted anything unless it was to help him win the title.

raymondu999
    Participant

So give him the big stuff, but don’t give him anything less?

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Michael, Malaysia, 1999.

raymondu999
    Participant

Ob1; I don’t see how that has much connection; that was team orders when 1 guy couldn’t get the title and 1 guy couldn’t. This is about 2nd place which is a whole different ballgame.

Journeyer
    Participant

raymond, absolutely. case in point: schumacher was effectively #2 to rubens after he clinched the title in 2001, 2002, and 2004, all in an effort to get 2nd in the championship for rubens. many of rubens’ wins came after schumacher had clinched the title.

raymondu999
    Participant

did he actively give way to Rubens? It could just be that Rubens only found form after the title was clinched

George
    Participant

I think Vettel is probably too hungry for stats, and he’d probably rather not boost Webber’s ego for next season

raymondu999
    Participant

Arguably, if let’s say Vettel screamed off into the distance, and then at the exit of the very last corner pootled along at 2mph until the finish line; letting Mark through after 10 or 20 seconds of him waiting, it would break Mark’s spirit even more. But that’s another story; and I don’t think Vettel is mean enough to do that.

I think his hunger of stats has kind of gone actually. Last year you’d see him even slowing down on the penultimate lap so that he could hammer the final lap with a super qualifying effort and bag fastest lap; this year not so much. I think he’s more obsessed with results now; in that he’d rather have a “result” rather than a “stat.” i.e. pole/win versus fastest lap (which doesn’t really mean much tbh)

George
    Participant

Yeah, I meant pole/win stats ;)

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Raymondu999, I understand what you mean, but I only meant it in the context of Eddie Irvine saying Michael was the best No. 2 driver in the world.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.