F1

Saward vs Sylt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Forget Hamilton versus Rosberg, this is F1’s biggest rivalry at the moment:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/09/f1s-100-million-insurance-policy/print/

@keithcollantine So that’s how you deal with the off-season.

It’s quie a rivalry indeed.

andae23
    Participant
    Will Wood
    Keymaster

With respects to both of these men who are better journalists than I could ever hope to be, it’s pretty cringe-worthy to see them both resorting to taking shots at each other through their respective publications.

Time to put the egos aside and concentrate on scrutinizing those in charge of the sport, not each other.

@willwood But it makes a good off-season show, doesn’t it?

Forget marrying FE, this is a tiny bit more interesting :p

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It’s a very interesting rivalry – we can only benefit from this as both journalists seek more information to ‘out-do’ the other. I said as much to Saward – I do like some of his zingers! https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/a-man-to-watch-for/ – I think he mis-interpreted it. However, he did add his view on the rivalry.

Their angles are that Sylt focusses on the business, and might have a direct line to Mr E, usually publishing what BCE wants out there, while Saward is at every race and comes mainly from the sporting/creative side, but does cover all bases. This is why the occasional word error slips in, which Sylt touches upon (and even the commenters at the blog), but those are easily recognisable (and understandable given so much travel).

andae23
    Participant

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/sensibility-and-sense/

I love the positive aspects that the Web brings, enabling people to get closer to their interests and passions, but I hate the uncontrolled nature of the Internet, that allows any idiot or fraudster to abuse you or to pose as an expert.

I guess that you cannot have one without the other, but it does not stop me feeling angry when I see the media manipulation that goes on and “journalists” either not knowing or not caring that they are being manipulated.

Hmmmm….

Vortex Motio
    Participant

Wow, that is entertaining!

While I do appreciate Joe’s efforts, candidly I’ve pitied Mr. Saward for a long time because he continually makes mistakes such as those few highlighted by Mr. Sylt.

Neusalz
    Participant

That was quite an interesting move by Sylt. Seems like a hit below the belt to me, and a little too personal for my tastes. Can’t say this prevented me from reading more of his articles, so I guess he has a reason to be happy given that I had no clue who he was.

Girts
    Participant

I lost respect for Joe Saward when “the silent majority” (that is, three pro-government lobbyists) in Bahrain convinced him that everything was fine and well in their country. And I lost respect for Christian Sylt when he claimed that a 14-word comment on an F1F article was “highly damaging” to his “reputation and credibility”. This silly “rivalry” only once again reminds me why I am an F1 Fanatic supporter and also pay for Autosport Plus instead of spending these pounds to support the likes of Saward and Sylt.

Professional journalists would never lower themselves to this. I read F1 blogs / websites because I want to know what is going on in F1, what are the stories behind news and I want to read reasonable, well-written opinions. If I want to have some fun, then I go to SniffPetrol but I am certainly not interested in pillow fights between self-proclaimed F1 experts.

For sure, some of their articles or opinions might still be worth reading but they are certainly not among my top F1 news sources.

@andae23
    Sylt sometimes comments on F1F (so he at leasts contributes to high-quality journalism by giving F1F a few clicks :)) but I think he does not have an account.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I don’t care.

I’m devoted to my very own F1 journalist and I’ll go wherever he goes.

Tho, just so you know Keith Collantine. I prefer the mountains, so please go there… ;)

matt90
    Participant

The way that Sylt leapt on a fairly innocuous comment on this very site, flexing his muscles by mentioning legal action, makes it difficult to take him seriously.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

The rivalry shows no signs of abating, but finding that tussle here did lead me to finding some detailed information on the ownership and finances of F1 :). I guess it is an indication that this site is taken seriously – I doubt many GMM clones would have gotten such a reaction. On that note, which F1 site suffered from libel action, taking a serious financial hit?

I’ve come to the conclusion that Sylt and Saward running F1 would be amusing. Sylt (and Reid) would take care of the financial/media side, while Saward would take care of the sporting/fan matters. It would be like Blair-Brown, a partnership highly known for its combustibility!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.