F1

Schumacher vs Barrichello Telemetry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    nik
    BasCB
    Participant

Thanks for posting that Nik. I saw an interview with Brundle where he did a comparison as well. It really shows where Schu got his speed from. Would be interesting to see a comparison of Schu and Nico now.

Enigma
    Participant

This is great, thanks.

nik
    Icthyes
    Participant

Thanks Nik. Once again I’m in awe of the skill these guys have.

GeeMac
    Participant

A really interesting read, thanks for that.

You really do have nowhere to hide as an F1 driver. I can imagine Rubens saying “I was pushing like hell” when he got back to the garage and having some engineer pulling up the telemetry and saying “Actually mate you weren’t. For 15 meters at the hairpin you were coasting, get back out there and try harder!”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, I don’t think I understand. Does Michael slow down earlier and accellerate earlier than Johnny and Rubens?

nik

Ye that is right Fixy

I heard that the Schumacher driving style was very unique and essentially a secret until a lot later in his career. Apparently now a lot of the upcoming drivers are taught in his style. He dominated for so long and nobody could work out what he was doing different, and this is it.

Barrichello is now the only driver on the grid who breaks with his right foot, while Senna, Prost etc. were all right-foot breakers. Most of the drivers today also balance the car for exit using the steering wheel rather than the brake pedal, you can see that in cockpit footage of Hamilton, Vettel etc.

Seems like there is no room left on the modern grid for the old style of driver, even with tyres that now deteriorate faster (one of the benefits of balancing with braking)

F1Yankee
    Participant

well, it’s not as if they have a clutch pedal to keep stomping. there’s absolutely no reason to right foot brake since the early 90’s.

Victor.
    Participant

Some F1 drivers actually right-foot brake? Wow, that’s a shock. Your left foot’s just left idle with there being two pedals only. Even if there was a clutch I’d think that the supposedly best drivers in the world would be able to heel-and-toe or generally use two pedals with one foot.

I’m flabbergasted :o.

GeeMac
    Participant

That is really odd. Surely you would look at the telemetry, see the benefits, and then teach yourself to left foot brake. Particularly when you are loosing 3 tenths a sector to your team mate as Rubens was in some of those sections.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In an interview with Rubens not so long ago I remember him saying that for certain corners where the driver turned while braking then he’d left foot brake but going straight into a corner he’d use his right foot.

nik

Some drivers just can’t adapt. It is like a right-footed person trying to kick a soccer ball with their left. I sort of see what they mean, you have a lot less feeling and strength in your left foot. Rubens said he couldn’t change to left-foot since he had been using his right foot for years and just didn’t have the same feel with his left. I guess it is something you build up over time and it would feel weird. There isn’t a lot of travel in those pedals so you need to be ultra-accurate.

Besides, I doubt they really know what Schumacher was doing, the conclusion may have been that he is just a better driver and not because of his two-footed action. I remember taking a rally driving course in the mid-90s where I was told to never, ever left foot brake. Same with not hitting both pedals together in go-karts! Anybody else get this?

I thought the go-kart guy was concerned about wear, but he was serious about lifting from one pedal and applying the other, never both. He said ‘thats why you do that in a car as well’ – so it wasn’t that long ago that left-foot braking and not riding both pedals was very much the norm.

nik

@Steph – am I imagining things or was it the same interview where Rubens said that he now sometimes places his foot *across* both pedals? I seem to remember that also, but couldn’t find a google reference and wasn’t 100% certain.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I honestly can’t recall that part Nik if I’m honest but I do remember it was in the ‘You ask the questions’ part of F1 Racing a few months back as for some reason those interveiws tend to stick in my brain.

Also, when I went go-karting with friends the guy there warned us never to use both pedals together too and that was some time last year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.