F1

Schumacher’s bad luck

This topic contains 28 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  john 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Force Maikel
    Participant

2012 certainly hasn’t seen the start he was hopping for. His team mate has already taken a win and has 35 points versus 2 for him. I hope he gets a better race at Barcelona. Lady Fortuna seems to have left him.

David-A
    Participant

Running wide in Germany to cause a puncture? Spinning in Europe when Montoya overtook him?

Well, running wide, once, onto tarmac runoff shouldn’t have so easily given him a puncture. And he spun in Europe because of the contact caused when Montoya went past. It was a racing incident, rather than Schumacher simply spinning.

And it’s a pretty weak argument to claim he didn’t deserve the title simply because he had less mechanical failures. How many people point out how poor Alonso supposedly was in 2010 because he had less car failures than Vettel and Hamilton? Schumacher won it fairly, and that’s all that matters.

Kingshark
    Participant

And it’s a pretty weak argument to claim he didn’t deserve the title simply because he had less mechanical failures.

My argument is, he was all too lucky in the championship chase. He was also very lucky in Indianapolis. Once the rain fell the Bridgestone’s did all the work. Without Kimi’s constant plague in Qualifying and his engine blow-out in Europe, he would’ve won that championship by a solid margin. Same goes with Montoya, who’s car let him down twice when he was leading.

How many people point out how poor Alonso supposedly was in 2010 because he had less car failures than Vettel and Hamilton?

Difference is, Ferrari was the third best car than season (arguably second) while Red Bull had the fastest package by quite some margin. In 2003, no team had any real advantage, that was until Schumacher was gifted the title when all Michelin teams were forced to change to the old 2001-compound midway the season. Despite that, he was still very lucky that he was hardly ever plagued with misfortunes unlike his two biggest rivals – who barely had 3 years of experience, while he was already a 5 time champion.

Schumacher won it fairly, and that’s all that matters.

Don’t even get me started on the Michelin tyre saga. :(

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Schumacher; in fact, he’s in my top 5 all-time greats. However, his 2003 title just happened to be one of the most undeserving in recent history.

Pamphlet
    Participant

@david-a “And it’s a pretty weak argument to claim he didn’t deserve the title simply because he had less mechanical failures. How many people point out how poor Alonso supposedly was in 2010 because he had less car failures than Vettel and Hamilton?

You do realize that that’s absolutely true, right? The Ferrari was bulletproof and was damn near the RB6 at the end of the season, and yet Alonso couldn’t do anything about it in the end. We all remember that 2010 no-misfortune alternate season thread by now, don’t we.

David-A
    Participant

@kingshark – I’m still not convinced Schumacher didn’t deserve the 2003 title. It is quite an assumption to be made that there was nothing actually wrong with Michelin’s tyres, and we know that the nature of F1 is to find just about any competitive advantage- or stop your opponents from having an advantage. Michelin were eventually found to be in breach of the rules after being much faster in the middle part of the season. I doubt you’ll agree with me, but while I understand where you’re coming from, I simply don’t agree with your main point either.

Asanator
    Participant

Oh yes, he had all the luck, Just look at 1999!!!

clark
    Participant

Someone mentioned Raikonnen’s “bad luck” in 2003 season. I say that he had this “bad luck” throughout his career, but is it really bad luck? When he was in Mclaren their engine went up in flames very often. That changed when Alonso and Hamilton came, but suddenly Ferrari started having engine problems with Raikonnen continuing to have his “bad luck”. All sorts of mechanical failures and Ferrari’s preformance issues began during Raikonnen’s time, and surprise suprise they all ended when Alonso enterd the team and Raikonnen was thrown out. I don’t wan’t to insult anyone but with this post I just want to say what I think of Raikonnen’s “BAD LUCK”.

Schumacher deserved every single championship he won, with luck or without it. The beauty of F1 is it’s unpredictability.

Cristian
    Participant

Of course Schumacher deserved the 2003 title. In 2003 Williams was faster, Ferrari more reliable. He won it fair and square.
    Reliability is part of the game. A driver is not lucky if he has a car that is fast/reliable. Even more than football or basketball, imho, f1 is a TEAM sport where the driver takes most of the credit. A driver’s ability of being fast or kind to his tyres is not all that is needed in F1, he must be good at developing the car and at working with his team.
    Putting anything down to good or bad luck is just a way to shield oneself for the responsibility of a failure. Everyone makes his luck through determination and hard work. It is not “luck” when someone crashes out of races like Montoya or Hamilton or Vettel in 2010. It is not bad luck when your engine lets you down more often than your teammate’s. Kimi lost the title in 2005 not due to bad luck, but due to the fact that Alonso was better that year. You can have bad luck one race, but when it starts repeating itself questions must be asked.
    And I think there are reasons other than “luck” for Schumacher’s situation nowadays. He has a worse car than he used to have, he isn’t as fast as he used to be ( all of us get older and our body doesn’t get better with it ) and I think, due to those factors and the enormous pressure mounted on him by others and himself ( we all know Schumacher wants badly to win, he crashed twice into title opponents ) that frustration got the better of him more than a couple of times and made some costly errors. When problems seem to hit you more than all the other drivers, probably the problem is you.
    Michael Schumacher is and always will be my favourite drivers and I consider him easily the best ever, but he no longer is and I try to look at his situation objectively. Quite a few times he did some very good races since his return, but the good moments are outweighted by the bad. He smiles a lot these days, but I think he is just trying to hide his frustration.

Powderfinger
    Participant

Swings and roundabouts I guess? Can’t have had all that good fortune in his ‘first career’ without paying the price this time around!

I agree with that.
    Not saying he deserves it but it’s just a thing you witness in most sports, e.g. Football.

He smiles a lot these days, but I think he is just trying to hide his frustration.

Of course he is hiding it. He said he came back to have fun but winning is a part of having fun otherwise he could have signed for HRT had he just wanted to take part in Grand Prixs.

Overall, it is still weird seeing him in the position he is in. After all those dominant years.
    He has had some decent races but was denied a good result due to various factors but I think we will see him on the podium at least once this year.

Anonymous

Its called Karma.

John H
    Participant

He’s had more bad luck yes, but he’s also been in the mix more because of his inferior qualifying.

Todfod
    Participant

@antonybob . Lol . He’s definitely got a whole lot more bad luck pending. But lets face it, he would need a whole lot more that just luck and the quickest car to beat some of the drivers on the grid today

Kingshark
    Participant

You do realize that that’s absolutely true, right? The Ferrari was bulletproof and was damn near the RB6 at the end of the season, and yet Alonso couldn’t do anything about it in the end. We all remember that 2010 no-misfortune alternate season thread by now, don’t we.

May I create one of those for the 2003 season? I think it would be very interesting myself.

john
    Participant

I took awhile to like MS, but his talent and skill grew on me. Nothing can change what he has done its done ( a darn good job he did too ). I wanna see him win again. ” GO SCHUMI GO “

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.