F1

Screamer pipe – 2016

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sami.M
    Participant

Hey F1 fans,
    As i was reading about the next season, this grabbed my attention, and i admit, raised my concern.

“Cars will be required to be designed with a separate wastegate for exhaust gasses to pass through—colloquially dubbed the “screamer pipe”—in a bid to increase the noise of the cars following criticism since the introduction of the 2014 generation of engines.” Wikipedia quoting Sky News.

This does not sound very good to me because it is basically faking things, purposefully making a pure cosmetic change -which will not add the quality, speed or safety of the car- in order to make the engine sound like something that it is not.

For me, this sounds the same as those street cars with over-sized exhaust pipes, which only act as noise generators, annoying noise that is, not the nice noise you would want to here, say from an Aventador’s V12 for example.

That’s all my rant for now, but was actually wondering if there are any more/better news about this, and what do other F1 fans think about things going this direction.

PorscheF1
    Participant

It’ll be odd in the beginning because you’ll know it is ‘fake’ but we’ll get used to it.

@samiup This was covered on the site last week:

New exhaust rules to increase noise in 2016

I wouldn’t set any store by the spin given to a story on Wikipedia because you never know who’s written or edited it. The ‘screamer pipe’ sounds like something someone came up with to make a story sound more interesting.

Caroline Geddes
    Participant

I don’t know about the ‘screamer pipe’, but I do agree that there are already too many artificial things in F1. I am thinking of DRS and degrading tyres, though I’m sure people will think of others. I personally don’t care about the noise, but when it was ‘bigger’, that was due to more engine power, and I guess lost energy being converted to sound rather than movement. I think it is patronising to suggest that F1 followers are so shallow we will be happy because someone has tweaked the exhaust to give us more sound with no improvement in speed. If more sound was a bye-product of some improvement of the car, that would be great, but otherwise no. Let’s make the sport pure again, or try to. The fastest driver in the fastest car, using the fastest engine and the fastest tyres and fuel winning grand prix; everyone else developing and catching up as fast as possible to improve competition – that is what I want from F1. Long sentence but I hope you get my gist :).

glynh
    Participant

The new engines never bothered me to be honest, I would prefer not to be deafened at a race and while the sound used to be more impressive you can now hear the tyres more and the turbo working so I don’t mind either way.

It does seem a bit fake using a louder exhaust but at the same time it’s only the same as the current one making the engine sound quieter or the old making the engine really loud.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.