Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 3 hours, 22 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Senna and Button – worst weekend performances of the year?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Slr Slr 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TommyB
    TommyB
    Participant

@markthornton90 But he missed the Mugello test for a really really important Vodafone sponsor meeting

Profile photo of Estesark
    Estesark
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a great revelation that Button is the kind of driver who can perform fantastically with a car that is set up to his liking, but who struggles when it is anything other than that. I’m not sure who it was (Martin Brundle, perhaps), but I remember someone asking who you would want to drive for the fate of the planet if an alien species arrived and threatened us with destruction if we couldn’t find someone to beat them in a race with an unspecified car. From the current crop of F1 drivers, I’d probably take Alonso, with Hamilton and Vettel close behind. Button would be some way down my list, because unless the car was – by some huge coincidence – exactly as he wanted it, he wouldn’t get the most out of it.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I remember someone asking who you would want to drive for the fate of the planet if an alien species arrived and threatened us with destruction if we couldn’t find someone to beat them in a race with an unspecified car.

Wasn’t that the plot of a Crash Bandicoot game?

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@Estesark petrolhead aliens! Wow! :P

But I do agree – Button has a very narrow operating window, though I personally believe that if he does get into that operating balance window, he is at worst 1.5 tenths slower than Hamilton. At the very WORST.

Profile photo of Force Maikel
    Force Maikel
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys Do you believe button would drive better results if they somewhat adjust his car to melbourne specs knowing it is slower? Would it be a reasonable (or legal for that matter) solution?

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Even if it were better, running two cars in completely different specs isn’t really realistic. It isn’t at all practical, although I don’t believe there’s anything in the rules preventing two vastly different spec cars competing.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@force-maikel

Do you believe button would drive better results if they somewhat adjust his car to melbourne specs knowing it is slower?

Can it really be that much slower than he was in Canada?

Profile photo of Force Maikel
    Force Maikel
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys It wouldn’t be a bad idea at all for him but logistically it’s not ideal is it? Hell developing two diffrent designs for two diffrent drivers, now thats a challenge!

Profile photo of Estesark
    Estesark
    Participant

@Prisoner-monkeys, yes, you’re right. Crash Team Racing is a great game, come to mention it. It rips off Mario Kart in many ways, but I actually prefer it. It doesn’t feel quite so luck-based.

[/offtopic]

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It wouldn’t be a bad idea at all for him but logistically it’s not ideal is it? Hell developing two diffrent designs for two diffrent drivers, now thats a challenge!

All McLaren really have to do is bring both noses for Button, and run one in FP1 and the other in FP2. He should start with the nose he is comfortable with, and use it to establish a baseline for the setup. He then runs the new nose in FP2, and refines the setup. If he’s not comfortable with it, he should revert to the ol nose for the rest of the weekend. Once he gains confidence in the new nose, he can start running it more and more. It should only take a few races.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

Wasn’t that the plot of a Crash Bandicoot game?

Crash Team Racing was an awesome game. :)

Back to the thread, I think I’ve rated Jenson Button as the worst driver in the last three races now. Senna has also been poor, but I kind of expect that from him. Button is a great driver, but he sucks at adapting to cars which don’t suit his regular style of driving.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.