• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 9 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Senna to Williams

This topic contains 37 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of matt90 matt90 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    TheJudge

who would have tought,it’s true!

PieLighter
    Participant

PM is a Bruno Basher. :P

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No, I just think he’s over-rated. I’ve seen people claim he was “clearly faster” than his team-mate this year, which I have a hard time getting my head around because in the six races that they both finished, Senna only beat Petrov once.

bananarama
    Participant

There are people who believe he must be awesome because of his name amd there are lots of people who think he must be rubbish because all he has is the name. Clearly both are wrong.

The way I see it he is fine. He was clearly better than Chandhok in GP2 and the way I saw the season he was faster in that HRT aswell. Considering that he came into the car with only six races to go he was fine in the Renault aswell. In qualifying he looked very good compared to Petrov, in the races he seemed to struggle with the tyres, not always getting them to work at their full potential which I think is normal for someone who could barely test them and he made some pretty stupid mistakes but thats nothing experience wouldn’t change. He is not brilliant but not bad either. Sadly (for him) there are lots of drivers out there like that but luckily (for him) he can sure motivate quite a few people/companies from Brazil to help him out financially. We will see but I have my doubts about us seeing him in a car next year (even though I wouldn’t mind it at all).

TheJudge

I agree to @bananarama . But only similarity with his uncle is how he dances with the car. THe video below ,shows that the car has absolutley no grip at all,like the Mclaren in the early 90′s,the car is handled with so much passion and hunger for speed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RqgqMGZGY
    Except for that,he’s just like any other rookie driver,only 30 years old and surname Senna. The first start’s to get on his feet in this sport,the other helps him with the backing.
    I have liked this kid from 2008 ,when he tested the Honda,everyone was impressed,but he got unlucky,and it seems like he’s short of that luck sometimes. I would want to see him racing only in case,if it is not for HRT,that would be the end of the story and a big waste of a lot of money.

electrolite
    Participant

I think Senna needs to improve his consistency. But with only one season in a HRT and half a season thrown into a flailing R31, that’s bound to happen. He’s had some really good moments and some pretty bad ones. I don’t think he’s better than Barrichello (yet) but I do think he ought to have another chance. Really funny guy too.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m not seeing why Senna “deserves another chance”. He’s had two already – HRT and Renault – which is more than most people get, and he’s failed to impress.

bananarama
    Participant

Maybe there are people out there who have a different opinion. Maybe the people working at Renault actually liked working with him, maybe the data they had showed that he actually did a good job, maybe people think that its hard to look good against someone with a 12 race advantage knowing the car and the tyres. Or maybe he is a bad driver. There are a lot of things that different people evaluate differently and some of us may come to the conclusion that Senna doesn’t deserve another chance.
    We will see what Williams decide, if he and his sponsors are good enough for them or not.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, Rubens Barrichello sounds very positive at the moment:

just came back from England…now some holidays…and waiting for good news from Williams…speak later…byeeee

Some Brazilian journalists seem to be backing him, now. I think what might have set them off was the talk that Adrian Sutil would replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari and that Kamui Kobayashi would move to Williams to make way for Jules Bianchi. That would make for a grid with no Brazilian drivers on it.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I think he did pretty good in the Renault considering he was plopped in partway through the season. Was he phenomenal? No. But as @banarama pointed out, Petrov had a lot more time to get used to the car. The fact that Senna was outqualifying him tells me he’s got it in him and hints at the fact that his lack of pace and mistakes in race trim means he was coming to grips with the machine and the style of racing that year still.

Yeah, there’s plenty of us that are glassy eyed over the idea of the return of the Senna name, but I see no reason to ditch the guy either.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The fact that Senna was outqualifying him

It’s not like Senna did this regularly. Of the eight races they had together, Senna only out-qualified Petrov three times. And he only started in front of Petrov in India because of Petrov’s grid penalty from Korea. That is hardly “out-qualifying” the man.

Funkyf1
    Participant

As pointed out Petrov was in the car from day one, Senna was given a seat when they had seemingly stopped developing the car. Yes he’s race trim needs work, that comes with experience, but he does have pace. I think Rubens is clutching at straws and he may just get the short one. The only reason I believe Williams will hang on to him is for he’s knowledge as they will be developing another new car around a new engine package, Rubens is not moving forward, a younger talent is and that’s what Williams need to do. As for the Senna/Williams relationship, get over it! Accidents happen, nobody sabotaged Senna’s car and nobody wanted it to happen. I don’t believe Senna’s family would deny Bruno a future because his uncle died in a car supported by the same company two decades ago. Unfortunate was all it was. Maldonado has somehow reserved his seat, while he’s proven nothing at all, so give Bruno a go!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

When Petrov was being beaten by Robert Kubica last year – despite his inexperience – people were arguing that he should have lost his seat. But now Senna was beaten by Petrov despite his inexperience, but people are saying that he should stay.

You can’t have it both ways.

The only reason I believe Williams will hang on to him is for he’s knowledge as they will be developing another new car around a new engine package, Rubens is not moving forward, a younger talent is and that’s what Williams need to do.

Williams do not need a young talent. They need someone who can develop the car. Right now, an older, slower driver who can develop the car is better than a younger, faster driver who cannot because youth and speed will be wasted on a car that cannot rise up through the ranks.

Besides, Williams have Pastor Maldonado, who they evidently believe is fast enough to keep around (despite everyone criticising him, Maldonado kept up with Barrichello and beat him far more often than Senna beat Petrov). Because if Senna has the $27 million in sponsorship that he is said to have, there would be no reason to keep Maldonado around.

john
    sozavele
    Participant

I disagree with @prisonermonkeys the end of year tally Petrov-Senna was 5-3, that is not bad considering Petrov had MORE than half a year to learn the car and devlop it to his liking while Senna was thrown in at the deep end with more than half the season gone at one of the hardest tracks, he did more than some poeple were expecting. I would say he deserves another chance, HRT no testing, thrown in at the deep end, could have been better but Renault, he did more that I hoped he would in a short space of time.
    Williams with Maldonado, who we can execpt is awful, with another new you driver, that could be a match made in hell, at the moment young drivers have not been all that good, Williams could fall further back. I would say take Senna, he comes with money and is a good driver if given a chance from the start of season foward, if not taking Senna take Sutil as he is a driver with experience, but with Sutil he is just boring. By taking Senna they have the money to move fowards and after only 8 races in 2011 he has not been bad, given that he had a full season I would say he would have beaten Petrov.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.