• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Senna to Williams

This topic contains 37 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of matt90 matt90 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@formula-1 – I think you’ll find Petrov had very little say in the development of the car. Once it became obvious that Robert Kubica would not return in 2011, Renault stopped bringing regular updates to races. Until then, they had been relying on Nick Heidfeld to develop the car, as Heidfeld was one of the most experienced drivers in the field.

But even if Petrov was the only person developing the R31, Senna’s results were not very good. He might have outqualified Petrov three times, but he only beat Petrov once in the actual race. Otherwise, he finished four places behind Petrov on average. He failed to make strategies work, and often made stupid mistakes under pressure (like hitting Schumacher in Brazi). So whatever natural talent he has, it is offset by a complete lack of racecraft.

You say we can “expect Maldonado to be awful”, but the truth is that Maldonado kept up with Barrichello all throughout the year, and often out-qualified him. The only reason people dislike Maldonado is because he hit Hamilton in Belgium. Maldonado was more impressive against Barrichello than Senna was against Petrov.

sozavele
    Participant

@prisonermonkeys I think Maldonado is awful and I hate Hamilton, think how many races did it take Maldonado to score a point it to Senna 2 races, not bad. What I meant was that Petrov had been in the car since the start of the year so he could get a feel for the car and learn the strenghts and weaknesses and work around them if they weren’t getting fixed, whereas Senna had to do all that as well as trying to be competitive. What it seems to me is that you have written off a driver who in your opinion has had 2 chances. But if you were Sir Frank Williams, and a team who needs money and sponsers would you turn down the chance to bring in a driver with potential that needs refining.

HUHHII
    Participant

I’d be delighted to see Senna in Williams, though I believe this is still unconfirmed news? Then if we could get Sutil to another Williams seat and Alguersuari to Caterham it’d be perfect. I wouldn’t miss Buemi or Petrov.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@formula-1

think how many races did it take Maldonado to score a point it to Senna 2 races, not bad

The Renault R31 was capable of scoring points on a semi-regular basis (and a high attrition rate at Monza certainly didn’t hurt). The FW33 was not.

What it seems to me is that you have written off a driver who in your opinion has had 2 chances.

Most drivers only get one. If I’ve written Senna off after two chances, it’s because I don’t think he’s done enough to justify a seat in 2012. If he had out-qualified Petrov five times or more in the eight races they had together, or out raced him four times or more in the six they both finished, then I would re-consider. But as much as I am a fan of his, Vitaly Petrov is not a highly-rated driver, so Senna’s achievements compared to him are pretty lacklustre.

if you were Sir Frank Williams, and a team who needs money and sponsers would you turn down the chance to bring in a driver with potential that needs refining

Yes, I would – what Williams need is an experienced driver to develop their car. If the team takes Senna and spends time shaping him into a better driver, that is time that could be better-spent making the FW34 a better car. Like I said, an older and slower driver can develop the FW34 into a faster car. A young and fast driver, on the other hand, is stuck driving a car that is slow.

@huhhii – Yes, it’s unconfimed. There doesn’t seem to be much to it other than the Brazilian media juming the gun. They did the same thing about this time last year, claiming that Senna had a seat for 2011. I think the reason why they’ve done it is because there was talk that Sutil would replace Massa at Ferrari, and Kobayashi would replace Barrichello at Williams (with Jules Bianchi joining Sauber), which would mean the 2012 season would start with no Brazilian drivers on the grid, and I doubt that would go over well in motorsport-mad Brazil.

sozavele
    Participant

@prisonermonkeys I does not matter if it does not go down well in Brazil if there were not any Brazillian drivers in the grid. The only thing that matters is that the teams get the drivers that they want, money + sponsership + points.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@formula-1 – Yes, I’m aware of that. I’ll be the first to argue that a team has to pick the two best drivers available to them. I meant that I think the reason why the Brazilians were so quick to believe the rumours of Senna going to Williams was because they were concerned that there was a chance that 2012 would start without any Brazilian drivers on the grid. Since they didn’t want that to happen, they readily believed the rumour and ran it as if it were fact.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Frankly, I’ll take Senna over Maldonado if simply for Maldonado’s ridiculous move in Spa. That really shot him in the foot for me.

matt90
    Participant

I support Senna, which might cloud my judgement, but I don’t think he’s had a fair go yet. I remember Brundle saying that the HRT drove like it was broken- I don’t think any of the HRT drivers that year can be rated easily. And being parachuted into a car mid-season rarely works for anyone.

Also, I’ve heard that engineers think highly of him. Can’t remember where specifically, but I keep hearing that his garage always has a high opinion of him.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.