• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 5 hours, 47 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Silly Season: 2015 F1 Driver Market

This topic contains 146 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hunocsi hunocsi 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

@full-throttle-f1 – Unfortunately I can’t really see any other options. As I mentioned, Haas running the first female driver for years would probably attract the sponsors, but the list of other possibilities is quite short:
    Adrian Sutil – Possibility purely on experience, but unlikely in my view.
    Kamui Kobayashi – Same as Sutil.
    Esteban Gutierrez – Slightly more probable.
    Pastor Maldonado – I hope not.
    I can’t really see any of the GP2/FR3.5 drivers fitting in either, so that doesn’t leave many people. Unless they decide to try and move someone over from Indycar, or bring Montoya back, although I think the latter is highly unlikely.
    Or they could decide to bring someone back to F1, Alguersuari, Kovalainen, Glock etc, although again I find this unlikely. @mathers even suggested Villeneuve! O.o

With Danica they know her because they run her in Nascar. That would surely help when setting up a new team and as I said, the first female racing (not test) driver for years is likely to attract sponsors. I should imagine GoDaddy primarily.

Personally, if they do take Mercedes engines, I’d like to see them take Sam Bird alongside Rossi. I think that would be a very strong pairing.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Nightmare mode: Haas and Forza Rossa don’t make it onto the grid, Caterham and Marussia fold, Red Bull withdraws.

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton
    Nico Rosberg
    Daniel Ricciardo

McLaren Honda
    Jenson Button
    Kevin Magnussen
    Stoffel Vandoorne

Ferrari
    Fernando Alonso
    Kimi Raikkonen
    Sebastian Vettel

Force India
    Nico Hulkenberg
    Sergio Perez
    Daniel Abt

Williams
    Felipe Massa
    Vatteri Bottas
    Felipe Nasr

Sauber
    Esteban Gutierrez
    Jules Bianchi
    Sergey Sirotkin

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean
    Pastor Maldonado
    Jean-Eric Vergne

Profile photo of JackySteeg
    JackySteeg
    Participant

I see no reason to believe Haas will adopt an all-American team approach. I’ve also read they already have facilities in Belgium, which would presumably serve as the F1 base.

Anyway, my predicted lineup, optimistically presuming that all 13 teams will make it:

Red Bull Renault – neither team nor drivers see any reason to change
    S. Vettel
    D. Ricciardo

Mercedes – same as Red Bull
    L. Hamilton
    N. Rosberg

Ferrari – Hulk finally gets his chance in a top team after Kimi gets bored again. Alonso pursues a more competitive seat but fails
    F. Alonso
    N. Hulkenberg

Lotus Renault – same as before
    R. Grosjean
    P. Maldonado

McLaren Honda – same as before
    J. Button
    K. Magnussen

Force India Mercedes – Bianchi moves forward
    S. Perez
    J. Bianchi

Sauber Ferrari – Sutil fades out, along with the Sirotkin deal
    E. Gutierrez
    K. Sato

Williams Mercedes – no changes
    F. Massa
    V. Bottas

Scuderia Toro Rosso Renault – Félix da Costa gets promoted
    D. Kvyat
    A. Félix da Costa

The-team-formerly-known-as-Marussia Honda (can’t even predict what these guys will be called next year) – forms partnerships with McLaren and Honda and thus becomes a proving ground for their protégés
    S. Vandoorne
    T. Izawa

Caterham Renault – Kobayashi is narrowly selected to stay on with Rossi receiving a promotion
    K. Kobayashi
    A. Rossi

Haas Formula Ferrari – Ferrari partnership is formed, chooses the well-funded GvdG along with GP2 winner turned Ferrari sportscar racer Calado
    G. van der Garde
    J. Calado

Forza Rossa Mercedes – again, chooses some better-funded options
    F. Nasr
    J. Leal

Profile photo of Lucas Wilson
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Surely Marussia can’t be known as Marussia next year? They will have to change it.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Well, Lotus cars stopped sponsoring Lotus F1 Team officially and they’re still called Lotus. Slim chance they’ll go back to using Manor, if no ‘title’ sponsor is found.

Profile photo of Lucas Wilson
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

But Lotus exists as a car maker. It is pointless for a back marker team to run under the name of a operation that does not even exist anymore.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

They’re owned by a ‘Marrussia communications’ now, at that, they could just adopt the name. Plenty of former F1 teams were named after something random. McLaren hasn’t been owned by someone with the last name McLaren in ages too.

If they finish 10th in the standings, they’ll probably include Marussia regardless, in the same way Sauber was named BMW Sauber in 2010 (thanks, Bernie!).

Profile photo of Deej92
    Deej92
    Participant

Some of these are expected, others not so…
    Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    1. Hamilton
    6. Rosberg

Infiniti Red Bull Racing F1 Team-Renault
    5. Vettel
    3. Ricciardo

Scuderia Ferrari
    7. Raikkonen
    27. Hulkenberg

Movistar McLaren Honda
    14. Alonso
    22. Button

Sahara Force India F1 Team-Mercedes
    11. Perez
    77. Bottas

Williams Martini Racing-Mercedes
    19. Massa
    40. Nasr

Lotus F1 Team-Renault
    8. Grosjean
    13. Maldonado

Scuderia Cepsa Toro Rosso-Renault
    26. Kvyat
    Sainz

Sauber F1 Team-Ferrari
    99. Sutil
    17. Bianchi

Super Aguri F1 Team-Honda (formerly Marussia)
    20. Magnussen
    Vandoorne

Caterham F1 Team-Renault
    10. Kobayashi
    46. Frijns

Haas Ford F1 Team
    21. Gutierrez
    Rossi

Profile photo of hunocsi
    hunocsi
    Participant

Mercedes
    – Lewis Hamilton
    – Nico Rosberg

McLaren
    – Jenson Button
    – Kevin Magnussen

Red Bull
    – Daniel Ricciardo
    – Sebastian Vettel

Williams – Massa loses out significantly to Bottas while Nasr dominates GP2
    – Valtteri Bottas
    – Felipe Nasr

Force India
    – Nico Hülkenberg
    – Sergio Perez

Ferrari – Räikkönen gets bored with the team’s struggles and retires, Hülkenberg gets snubbed yet again
    – Fernando Alonso
    – Jules Bianchi

Toro Rosso
    – Jean-Eric Vergne
    – Daniil Kvyat

Lotus – Maldonado gets fed up with Lotus only scoring points once by each driver and leaves for Indycar to fight the Colombians, Kobayashi gets a decent seat
    – Romain Grosjean
    – Kamui Kobayashi

Sauber – the team sends away the always complaining Sutil, vdG brings the money needed as Sirotkin gets only a single podium in FR3.5
    – Esteban Gutierrez
    – Giedo van der Garde

Marussia – Chilton doesn’t get a seat after 38 uncompetitive race finishes without retirements, Stoneman dominates the GP3 field (remember, he’s in a Marussia car there) as Vandoorne comes third to Nasr and Palmer in GP2 and McLaren asks for space for him
    – Dean Stoneman
    – Stoffel Vandoorne

Caterham – Stevens (Caterham academy driver) dominates FR3.5, Palmer comes 2nd in GP2 as Ericsson leaves after a disappointing season
    – Will Stevens
    – Jolyon Palmer

Haas – they need an American driver, so Rossi gets one seat after a decent season in GP2 and Haas nicks him from Caterham, as Wickens wins DTM and gets the last seat as another North American
    – Alexander Rossi
    – Robert Wickens

No other teams get a license for 2015.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Nightmare mode sounds interesting..

Mercedes
    Hamilton
    Rosberg
    Di Resta

Red Bull
    Vettel
    Ricciardo
    Buemi/Felix da Costa/Vergne (‘yeah, right..’ says Marko!)

Ferrari
    Alonso
    Raikkonen
    Bianchi

McLaren
    Button
    Magnussen
    Vandoorne

Force India
    Hulkenberg
    Perez
    Juncadella

Williams
    Massa
    Bottas
    Nasr

Lotus
    Grosjean
    Maldonado
    Pic

Toro Rosso
    Kvyat
    Sainz Jr
    Gasly

Sauber (or Lotus), Caterham and Marussia would have folded under this scenario. From this pool of sudden available drivers, it would be Maldonado buying a seat to continue in F1 (unless his Venezuelan cash runs out), with some of the highly sponsored team drivers staying on. If there are only 9 teams, then I suppose RB and Toro Rosso could just run 2 cars each etc. or a compromise agreement could come together, possibly even no third cars until 4 more come onto the grid in 2016 or mid-2015 from the two new teams.

Sauber
    Sutil
    Gutierrez
    Van der Garde

Caterham
    Kobayashi
    Ericsson
    Frijns

Marussia
    Chilton
    Marciello
    £££ or Ellinas. Hardest to predict (or first one to go bankrupt.. leaving Chilton searching for a new team to back)

Now, speculation will also have to start for the newest team on the horizon, absent from my last guess:

Forza Rossa
    Marciello
    ??
    ?

Contenders could be other Ferrari juniors and any Romanian drivers ready in a few years time, like Visoiu. Until then, well there are a lot of drivers around with backing (like the HRT drivers last selected by Kolles for example), with the odd raw talent coming to fruition like Will Stevens (Caterham Junior) in FR 3.5. But where can he go with Kobayashi, Frijns and Ericsson in front of him in the queue?? At the present moment, only Frijns could possibly get anywhere without bringing lumps of cash in tow… and ask Paul di Resta how that route is going.. his best hope is a Mercedes 3rd seat in the nightmare scenario!

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Part of me also wonders whether many of the drivers severely affected by weight loss this year will make it back onto the 2015 grid. Sutil could throw the towel in (and he’s the wrong side of 30), Button could retire to hand a place to his ‘protege’ Vandoorne, and Vergne could simply be ousted for the next RB Junior like Sainz Jr. Ericsson would have his reputation in tatters and perhaps his sponsorship would thus run out, leaving him replaced by Frijns.

2015 could also be the final seasons for veterans like Raikkonen, Massa, and Button, if he fulfils Honda’s wishes to have a WDC driver lead the team. This would leave Alonso as the ‘grand-daddy’ of the grid, until he retires soon after and passes this mantle on to Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel (and Maldonado/van der Garde if they are still around). I hope Hulkenberg and Grosjean finally have a race win by then, although it’s highly likely that Ricciardo at least will have scored a debut win by then as well.

Profile photo of Oliver
    Oliver
    Participant

Considering the so called “Silly Season and Money Talks”, here´s my Predictions for 2015 F1 Drivers:

1) AMG Petronas-MERCEDES => Hamilton, Rosberg
    2) REB BULL-Renault => Ricciardo, Grosjean
    3) WILLIAMS-Mercedes => Massa, Bottas
    4) Scuderia FERRARI => Vettel, Raikkonen
    5) McLAREN-Honda => Alonso, Button
    6) Sahara FORCE INDIA-Mercedes => Hulkenberg, Peres
    7) GenII LOTUS-Mercedes => Maldonado, Sutil (Jerome D’Ambrosio)
    8) STR / CEPSA -Renault => Kvyat, Sainz Jr
    9) SAUBER – Ferrari => Bianchi, Gutierrez (VdG)
    10) CATERHAM -Renault => Frijins, DaCosta
    11) Marussia – Ferrari => Max Chilton, Magnussen or Vandoorne

Feel free to share with us you thoughts.

Profile photo of craig-o
    craig-o
    Participant

I can’t see any of the following teams changing their drivers: Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Force India.

It’s Sauber which is the interesting one really. It looks like any two of at least five drivers have a realistic shout at getting a seat there for 2015.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Current realistic/boring expectations:

Mercedes
    -Hamilton
    -Rosberg

Red Bull
    -Ricciardo
    -Vettel

Ferrari
    -Alonso
    -Raikkonen

Williams
    -Bottas
    -Massa
    (I’d say there is a 33% chance they drop Massa for Nasr.)

Force India
    -Hulkenberg
    -Perez

McLaren
    -Magnussen
    -Grosjean
    (Boullier makes his move, Button goes fishing with Brawn and Withmarsh.

Toro Rosso
    -Kvyatt
    -Sainz
    (Verstappen is too young and moves into Sainz’ FR3.5 seat. Sainz moves only if he wins the FR3.5 championship, if not I can see Vergne being retained. IF Gasly beats Sainz somehow, I can see him making the move.)

Lotus
    -Maldonado
    -Vergne
    (People keep mentioning their test driver(s), I think Vergne would be a much more logical pick.)

Marussia
    -Bianchi
    -Palmer
    (Sauber seems to have dropped the ball monumentally, Ferrari decide to keep Bianchi where he’s at. They replace one British cash cow with another.)

Sauber
    -Gutierrez
    -de Silvestro
    (Despite all the rumors, Sauber keep Gutierrez because there’s a Mexican GP. de Silvestro simply outbids VDG and Sirotkin.)

Caterham
    -Don’t know
    -Don’t care

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Max Verstappen confirmed with Toro Rosso: http://www.verstappen.nl/?locatie=bericht&x=1&id=8713&lang=en

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.