• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 16 hours, 47 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Silly Season: 2015 F1 Driver Market

This topic contains 85 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Nick Nick 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    KeithR
    Participant

A downer on Button? He’s in the rank just down from LH/FA/SV/DR isn’t he? Same as he’s always been. Teams know he didn’t outdrive Hamilton, he was some way adrift especially in 2012. I wouldn’t be surprised if his stock hasn’t risen above Kimi and Rosberg now, but age is starting to count against him in teams’ longer-term plans.

He’s good but he’s not going to be lead driver for a top team, that’s unrealistic now Whitmarsh has gone. Ferrari would be great to see, alongside Alonso, but really at McLaren he’s a benchmark while they search desperately for their next Lewis; and a terrific ambassador of course.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Fans have short memories in F1, which is why I believe Button’s stock seems to have fallen, even though to me he is still among the best on the grid at the moment.

It’s why I want him up against Alonso so much, because in a quick car, he can be as good as anyone. The only problem is that I don’t foresee Ferrari being able to deliver a car capable of doing that.

Nick
    Participant

I don’t think Button is being rated lower than normal. Plenty of drivers at that stage of their careers became non-entries in Silly Season discussions. It’s often older drivers have fewer places to go (as mid field teams can’t afford them and top teams are focused on proven, yet younger talents) and become less interesting for silly season discussion.

Then there’s history. Drivers like Eddie Irvine and DC (while I’d rate Button higher) or even Ralf Schumacher end up away from winning for a few years and gradually their careers dimmed out (as was Button’s before 2009). It’s not fair on a driver to lose stock because you’re driving a bad car, but that’s the reality of F1, I guess.

sbewers
    Participant

Ok, how about this for silly season…

The Mercedes team drama escalates and results in Lewis leaving (Alonso 2007-style). Mercedes poach Vettel to fill the spot (all-German team, potentially 5 WC’s between the two drivers).

McLaren successfully convince Alonso to join.

Red Bull feel that Kvyat isn’t ready yet and needs another year at Toro Rosso. They’re not interested in Lewis or Jenson, and are more interested in fresh new talent so sign Bottas.

Ferrari promote Bianchi after Hulkenberg has a poor run of form the second half of the season.

Leaving two spots at Williams for the choice of Jenson, Lewis or Massa (ideally Jenson and Lewis for a final reunion as Jenson sees out his career at the team where it all began).

Which would leave a grid looking like this:

Mercedes:
    1. Sebastian Vettel
    2. Nico Rosberg

Red Bull:
    1. Daniel Ricciardo
    2. Valtteri Bottas

Williams:
    1. Lewis Hamilton
    2. Jenson Button

Ferrari:
    1. Kimi Raikkonen
    2. Jules Bianchi

McLaren:
    1. Fernando Alonso
    2. Kevin Magnussen

Force India:
    1. Nico Hulkenberg
    2. Sergio Perez

Toro Rosso:
    1. Daniil Kvyat
    2. Max Verstappen

Lotus:
    1. Pastor Maldonado
    2. Romain Grosjean

Sauber:
    1. Giedo van der Garde
    2. Simona de Silvestro

Marussia:
    1. Jolyon Palmer ??
    2. Max Chilton, Felipe Nasr, Alex Rossi ??

Caterham:
    1. Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren paying for this)
    2. [highest bidder]

Theo Parkinson
    Participant

Just read this on Autosport. Personally I don’t think it is worth it for Mclaren with so much cheap talent around.

Rodney
    Participant

Don’t know why McLaren are so desperate for a ‘superstar’ lead driver when the answer is staring them in the face … Nico Hulkenberg!

Deej92
    Participant

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    1. Rosberg
    44. Hamilton

Infiniti Red Bull Racing – Renault
    3. Ricciardo
    26. Kvyat

Williams Martini Racing – Mercedes
    77. Bottas
    19. Massa

Scuderia Ferrari
    14. Alonso
    7. Raikkonen

McLaren Honda
    5. Vettel
    20. Magnussen

Sahara Force India F1 Team – Mercedes
    27. Hulkenberg
    11. Perez

Scuderia Toro Rosso – Renault
    Verstappen
    Sainz

Lotus F1 Team – Mercedes
    8. Grosjean
    13. Maldonado

Marussia F1 Team – Ferrari
    17. Bianchi
    32. Vandoorne

Sauber F1 Team – Ferrari
    21. Gutierrez
    36. van der Garde

Forza Rossa F1 Team – Renault
    25. Vergne
    Cecotto

On a side-note, I just want to ask: Does anyone else think that replacing Button with Grosjean, which has been speculated (as has about half the grid!), wouldn’t really be worth it?

Rodney
    Participant

I don’t believe for a second McLaren are at all interested in Grosjean. He’s a nice guy and can be very good on his day, but I don’t see long-term race winning potential in him. And just because Boullier is a there doesn’t mean Grosjean is a dead cert.

While on the subject, what did McLaren see in Boullier? What is it that he’s achieved that they said ‘ooh we must have him?!’ All I see from Boullier is a bunch of bullish PR guff in the press.

Ditto Sam Michael … the kiss of death to any team!

Deej92
    Participant

I find it hard to imagine McLaren are interested in Grosjean, too. Considering they are chasing the likes of Alonso and Vettel, I seriously doubt Grosjean is going to be on their radar as some sort of back-up option. They would just keep Button if they can’t prise away Alonso or Vettel just yet, which is the logical thing to do in my opinion. Surely Hulkenberg would be higher up the list than Grosjean as well.

Grosjean should just look forward to staying with Lotus next year rather than suggesting he might have to look elsewhere. There are no real alternatives, and I feel Lotus is a fine team to be in, despite their struggles this year. They have a Mercedes tie-up next year so it could be promising.

Fun
    Participant

Alonso going to McLaren is highly improbable, even after 7 years, it kinda ruined his young age rhythm in his career and not just 2007, he had to sit at renault for next 2 years b’coz of that. Also his mindset and team’s is different. Everyone knows McLaren haven’t won constructors for more than 15 years [now they have even diff task to beat RB Merc, Ferrari, Williams], and Lewis just won WDC by slightest margin. After all, what would he get at McLaren? Money is not a criteria for Alonso, he’s already comfortable with Ferrari family, language, culture, treatment, etc. Only team I can see him going is either RedBull[which is unlikely] or Merc [if Lewis decides to leave].

I think none of Vettel, Alonso, Lewis will go to McLaren [williams past years are now McLarens]

Lewis would leave only if dramatic things unfold in a few upcoming races.

2015 line up for Top Teams:

Merc: HAM, ROS [possible HAM going only to Williams in frustration, if that happens domino effect in moving]
    Ferrari: ALO, RAI [possible HUL replacing RAI only if Ferrari decides to just pay him out]
    RB: RIC, VET [Only tempting place for VET would be Merc if HAM leaves]
    Williams: MAS, BOT
    McLaren: BUT, DIR [ DiResta might return :) ]
    Lotus: MAL, GRO [ GRO may go to FI if HULK goes to Ferrari incase RAI is leaving]
    FI: HUL, PER

Tough Luck McLaren, no world champion is gonna come to you and so they should keep BUT

Let’s see in a few weeks/months

Nick
    Participant

All this talk from Button about how he ‘would love to still be in F1 next year’ do strike me as a means of saying that Ron Dennis is looking to replace him, but keeps him on hand in case Vettel doesn’t want to join. Of course, none of this would have been addressed as directly by Ron Dennis..

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.