F1

Singapore DRS zone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    sfemsfem
    Participant

I can not find any details on where the DRS zone is for this weekend’s GP. Anyone have any clues? I’ve seen lots of people speculating, and I’ve got tickets to the Stamford grandstand on the assumption that it’ll be on the run up to there, but it seems really late to have not announced it,

Icthyes
    Participant

I’d be surprised if it’s anywhere other than the long straight. For fun I’d put it before the last corners ;-)

I’d put it just before the Sling Chicane or along the bridge before the left hander…

KaIIe
    Participant

No official word, but Autosport had this a few days ago: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94574

“[…]the DRS detection point will be set after Turn 3, on the way out of the circuit’s twisty opening complex. Notification is expected to be in the Turn 5 braking zone and activation on the exit of Turn 5, allowing DRS use on the long kinked straight towards Turn 7.”

raymondu999
    Participant

I’ll keep an eye out for painted white lines on my way to work later ;)

I suspect it’ll be on the run from T5 to T7. Just before the sling chicane wouldn’t really work I think. The corner before that is sort of medium speed and not easy to follow there. The chicane is also single-line; it’s not really possible to do an out braking overtake there. You have to be clean past the other guy.

sfemsfem
    Participant

Thanks KaIIe, but that’s Martin Whitmarsh’s educated guess, which I think is where everyone expects it to be, but I’m amazed that we are now 3 days out from the start of the GP weekend and it hasn’t been officially announced. All the other GPs have had the FIA announcement a couple of weeks before.

Is something odd going on here, or am I just too suspicious?

Zadak

There could be two, one on the long straight and one on the pit straight

raymondu999
    Participant

@sfemsfem – Maybe there won’t be any DRS? Fingers crossed in hope :P

Yup. I agree with Zadak. The T5-T7 straight and on the pit straight; though the one on the pit straight would be ultimately useless

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There could be two, one on the long straight and one on the pit straight

There could reasonably be three – on the pit straight, on the long back straight, and across the Esplanade Bridge (running north, back towards the War Memorial).

raymondu999
    Participant

Let’s not give the FIA ideas PM :P

wasiF1
    Participant

I don’t think there will be three DRS zone in Singapore at best two.Pit Straight & may be another on the Esplanade Bridge.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Let’s not give the FIA ideas PM

People complain that the DRS should be freely used. While it doesn’t allow a defending driver to use it, three DRS zones would get closer to this.

Hell, at India, you could have four DRS zones with two activation points if you wanted to.

raymondu999
    Participant

Really? I’ve never heard anyone complaining there was too little DRS

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It came up back around Australia – people complained that it was too artificial because only an attacking driver could use it, and only in a set area of the circuit under set conditions. A few people were calling for DRS use in the race to be unrestricted, like in qualifying.

I can not find any details on where the DRS zone is for this weekend’s GP.

The FIA generally don’t release it until the Tuesday or Wednesday before the race. It’s only when they’re doing something different – like having two DRS zones – that they’ll announce it well in advance.

raymondu999
    Participant

Oh! You mean unrestricted for everyone like in qualifying? I thought you were saying that cars as long as they were within 1s should get unrestricted use

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.