F1

spanish grand prix 1991

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sbl on tour
    Participant

I have just put on the beebs red button and have found the 1991 spanish grand prix,

two points spring to mind ,one, there was plenty of passing and it wasnt til near the end I realeased it was at catalunya, so what has happened?

And two ,it was a damn sight more exciting than the aussie gp the other week!

comments?

ps , after that the 1993 donnington gp came on, magic or what

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Well, it was a wet race, that always helps

TommyB
    Participant

It was a wet race, so yeah there was more passing.

sbl on tour
    Participant

dont think its that simple, these replies are giving kudos to bernies stupid idea of artificial rain

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah wet race did help, plus the fact Senna seemed to have a problem with his car, many drivers spinning out and the like.

Those cars just look so good, just watched the extended highlights on the beebs website and that year was full of stunners! The McLaren MP4/6, the Williams FW14, Ferrari’s 642, Leyton House’s CG911 and the Jordan 191!

Doance
    Participant

i dont know the cars seemed to vary more in speed back then! more position changing and such. i made a topic asking why basically they said it was to do with the aerodynamics and tyres. note – no drs or kers required.

back then it was “and senna took another 2 seconds off the lead that lap” nowadays days its “alonso closed by 2 hundreths of a second that lap”

TommyB
    Participant

comments?

I just watched it and well… it was pretty dull.

After the first 4 laps nothing happened. Mansell ended up miles ahead in the end.

I don’t get the “it was so much better back then”. People seem to suggest that it was a wheel to wheel battle lap after lap back then but it’s just not the case.

There wasn’t even enough to fill the 10 minute highlights in that race.

Asanator
    Participant

I’m sure introducing that namby pamby chicane in the penultimate corner hasn’t helped!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, that chicane is awful! You finally get close enough to them then they wack a chicane in the way, meaning you can’t get in the tow to make a move – like Button found out last year.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Actually, chicanes and slow corners are meant to close the gap rather than open them. Faster corners mean more air turbulence which makes it more difficult for the car behind. If anything, the chicane closes them up, not spreads them apart.

That said, it’s another terrible addition to an already boring track. I still feel it should be removed and the Spanish GP be taken somewhere else.

sbl on tour
    Participant

@tommy, come on… it was miles better than aussie 2011, plus I for one didnt fall asleep , – also it had the jordan 191, what more can I say

@ the chicane, watched free practice there a few years ago, dont know whose idea it was to put it there and why , but it has robbed us of plenty of excitment over the years

Icthyes
    Participant

Where theory breaks down Joey is that the car ahead will always have a car’s-length advantage for getting back on the power. I suspect that since so much of the cars’ performance rests with aerodynamics and the difference in mechanical grip is negligible in dry conditions that this is why faster drivers’ efforts are impeded by chicanes.

Ideally what they should have done is make the corner beforehand very tight, increasing the gap between the “necessary” slow corner and final corner in order to give the drivers a chance to close up again. Or they could have made the final corner a right-angled one like in Bahrain, medium-speed corners sandwiched by fast straights generally nullify the cars getting spaced out.

TommyB
    Participant

@tommy, come on… it was miles better than aussie 2011, plus I for one didnt fall asleep , – also it had the jordan 191, what more can I say

If it was a great race because it had the Jordan 191. Then 2002 was the best season ever because of the Orange Arrows :P

sbl on tour
    Participant

@tommy, you should be on stage at the comedy club, cos arrows were a joke!

enjoy the race on sunday

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Arrows were a terrible team, but the 1999- 2002 livery was amazing! The 1991 Jordan was pretty special because it combined both a great looking car and livery

The race is overrated in my opinion. It certainly wasn’t that exciting by wet race standards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.