• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Stefano Domenicali about Kimi Räikkönen

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Fixy Fixy 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    wasiF1
    Participant

Kimi won’t return in F1. But I do agree with some that he is a better driver then Alonso on sheer pace.

Asanator
    Participant

Give him the right car and I think Kimi is probably faster than Alonso in raw speed but Alonso is more of a complete driver which will give him the championship over Kimi every time!

Fixy
    Participant

@Ral

Massa in my opinion could have equalled him winning maybe in Europe, since he got a podium in Germany, earlier than Kimi.

If you are talking about 2009, then you’re wrong about Massa getting the first podium for Ferrari. Raikkonen came 3d in Monaco two races before Germany.

Sorry, I explained myself badly. I meant that when Kimi started getting podiums every race, from Hungary onwards, Massa had already had a podium in Germany, and would have been able to match Kimi. This does not mean that Massa had been the first to end on the podium. “Earlier” was meant in comparison to when the F60 improved enough to challenge for podiums continuously.

In Monaco, the F60 wasn’t good enough to get podiums every time, so I think it was more a lucky event, even because in Monaco overtaking is difficult.

The Monacon GP was a coincidence, but when Ferrari came up to the challenge later, Massa immediately got a podium beating Raikkonen, and I think he could have done so in the following races too.

And Massa ended fourth behind Kimi, so not far from him anyway.

TommyB
    Participant

@rampante It was a joke at the fact he gets defended for every single thing. Kimi wasn’t up to scratch in 2009 and if Massa was beating him in 2009 Alonso would probably have embarrassed him in 2010.

Ral

@Fixy

That’s fair enough. It would seem that Massa and Raikkonen wanted different things from their car and Ferrari ended up struggling which direction to take in their development. As I’ve said before, because of their different make-up and attitudes, that meant in the end that they chose Massa’s way, hurting Raikkonen’s speed in the process. By “in the end” of course, I mean “in 2008″.

But you can’t say that Massa might have been able to at least match Raikkonen because the car was coming good at the end of 2009. Ferrari very publicly stopped development of the F60 after Hungary. What I think did happen, was that Ferrari did not have to divide their attention anymore, so whatever improvements they could make to the car, all went Raikkonen’s way. And he showed them what he could have done if they’d just decided to back him.

Course, that last sentence is my bitter fan-boy side that’s a tad bitter about him getting fired talking :p

rampante
    Participant

@ Tommy, sorry I missed the satire, put it down to lack of understanding English.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The author doesn’t seemed to be a happy.

Just goes to show what I’ve been saying all along – Kimi fanboys are oddly protective and highly defensive.

Ral

Heh, I would say that it would be a fair assessment to state that Kimi fanboys are on the whole (a tad ;) ) over zealous and rabid in the defense of their chosen champion. But, in their defense, I think Kimi in particular seems to elicit a lot of ill will in those who are not fans and together, it creates a vicious circle that just keeps making both sides worse and worse.

In ten years time, half the world will believe Kimi could drive a snowmobile faster around the track than most F1 pilots can drive their cars. The other half will think that he should never have been given a superlicence because all he wanted to do was eat ice-cream and drink vodka and that he was actually caught once with an icecream-vodka float in his lap when his car broke down and he had to pit prematurely and so didn’t have time to finish it first.

And all of it because a couple of reporters decided that he was lacking motivation because he wasn’t winning races and he wasn’t pushing Ferrari to develop the car his way, leaving Ferrari a bit direction-less because they were set up to take direction from one lead driver.

Fixy
    Participant

@Ral

But you can’t say that Massa might have been able to at least match Raikkonen because the car was coming good at the end of 2009.

I can assume that, by looking at Raikkonen’s positions after Hungary and comparing his form against Massa before Hungary. Eg. Massa and Raikkonen were matched in Monaco, and in most of the races between Australia and Germany, so if Massa had continued like this he’d have wasily managed some podiums and, maybe, a victory.

It’s an assumption, but Kimi and Felipe were evenly matched up to Germany, where Ferrari started earning podiums in succession.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.