F1

Team Orders for a 1 in a million chance?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TommyB
    Participant

Let’s be honest the title is over but imagine if this was the situation in Suzuka…

Final lap and Hamilton is in 1st place, Button second and Vettel has retired.

Finish as they are and Vettel is champion, swap places and it keeps Button in the title even if it does mean he has to win all the remaining races and Vettel would need to retire.

So the question is would they do it, would they ask Hamilton move over?

Part of me thinks no what is the point but surely if there is even the smallest chance they would want to keep the chances alive?

raymondu999
    Participant

Hamilton would develop hearing problems most probably. And I don’t think McLaren are dumb enough to think Button has a realistic chance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with raymondu999 i think Mclaren and everyone knows the title is Vettels. So given the scenario i think they will allow the two to just race.

mclaren
    Participant
    Enigma
    Participant

It’s a tough call, but I reckon they wouldn’t use team orders in that case. I also believe that Hamilton would only let Button through if Jenson had a realistic chance of winning the title.

If Vettel retires thrice in a row and Button wins Suzuka and Yeongam, and he’s behind Hamilton in India, then perhaps it would happen, or if it was in Abu Dhabi. I reckon now’s too soon.

Imaginem, though, your scenario coming true and McLaren not using team orders, then for some reason Vettel failing to score in the remaining races and Button winning them all.

Ell
    Participant

@raymondu999 Lewis would listen, but I can’t see it happening.

Calum
    Participant

No, since the team are still outsiders for the WCC, 25 and 18 pts with a Vettel no score would be brilliant for them,they would be told to hold position and win the WCC!*

*Not happening.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Let’s be honest the title is over but imagine if this was the situation in Suzuka…

Final lap and Hamilton is in 1st place, Button second and Vettel has retired.

Honestly, I don’t think it will come to that. Based on their relative performances of late, I’d say it’s far more likely that Hamilton will not be leading the Japanese Grand Prix, and therefore, it won’t be a problem.

I also believe that Hamilton would only let Button through if Jenson had a realistic chance of winning the title.

Well, Button wouldn’t get the “more-realistic” chance without Vettel moving over. If Vettel fails to score and Button wins, the championship cannot be settled in South Korea because Vettel will be twenty-six points away from sealing the title.

David-A
    Participant

If Vettel fails to score and Button wins, the championship cannot be settled in South Korea because Vettel will be twenty-six points away from sealing the title.

No, if Button wins Suzuka with Vettel not scoring, Vettel still needs a single point from any of the other races to win the championship.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, the underlying point still stands: if Hamilton will only ever move over for Button if Button stands a “realistic chance” of winning the title, then he will move over because it will keep Button’s title fight more alive than if he finishes in front of Button since Button would get seven more points for first than he would for second.

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

I think a more realistic question would be, will Seb help to ensure that Mark finishes 2nd.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Ell – I doubt it. This is the first time anyone has been ahead of Lewis in the standings this far into a season and I don’t think he’s willing to concede that he might be beat by a teammate over season.

moshbeard

I don’t think they would bother in this case, not just because Vettel is pretty likely to pick up at least a point in the other remaining races but Button winning all the remaining races is pretty unlikely too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.