F1

Technicolor pirellis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mcmercslr
    Participant

i was just thinking why dint pirelli make the whole tyre the colour that its represented as. like white tyres, blue inters, orange wets (http://twitpic.com/4c96z2 bad photoshopping by me there. took me 5 mins) etc.

mcmercslr
    Participant

All silver tyres http://t.co/EYpMscu

Icthyes
    Participant

Because whilst it would be a nice idea, it would be awful to look at!

GeeMac
    Participant

Pirelli did that already, well, with the sidewalls at least, on the Benetton B186 at Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gerhard_Berger_1986_Detroit.jpg

Mark Hitchcock
    Participant

That Benetton is a warning to the world.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

My my…this all looks a bit silly :/

I guess it would dampen their brand awareness on the tyres.

dennis
    Participant

No clown-cars, please.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Would it be possible for an entire tyre to be given a particular colour without simply spray painting it? Because that would look amazing! Obviously, it’d never happen, because it would ruin everyone’s liveries and corporate identities, but in theory it would be very cool

infy
    Participant

Black skid marks please, not blue.

dennis
    Participant

I think Michelin a few years back said that it would be no problem at all to colour the rubber itself, so that the tyres could come in all different colours. But it’s the same as with ketchup. People know black tyres, and all they want is black tyres.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Everything seems like a bad idea ’til you get used to it. I bet when somebody came up with the idea of slicing loaves of bread he would’ve looked quite the fool, but now he’d have the last laugh, because bread slicing is widely accepted to be the best idea ever. Maybe in 50 years time people will be looking back thinking, ‘how on earth did we get by with boring black tyres for so long?? Thank God for the trailblazing Technicolour Pirelli’s!’

Anonymous
    Inactive

Imagine orange tyres on a red Ferrari. Bleah.

dennis
    Participant

I don’t slice my bread. I paint it black.

Zadak

the colour clashes would be a disaster

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve read in the past that the technology is there for tyres to be any colour the manufacturers want them to be (and not just by painting them, actually colouring the rubber), but they’re kept black because they are traditionally black, stemming from when the technology wasn’t there to make them any colour, and they had to be black.

I think the coloured writing works well enough, far better than the green ring. Be good to have some colour back on the tyres after years of Bridgestone and Michelin white.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.