• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 7 hours, 37 minutes ago

F1 discussion

The 13th slot

This topic contains 46 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Boxcar Racer Boxcar Racer 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Wonderduck
    Participant

Ford. Really, any American team would be great. After that? Make mine Minardi!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t think we’re going to see interest in a thirteenth team until such time as Caterham – and possibly one of the other teams – starts scoring points on a semi-regular basis.

Personally I would love to see Prodrive get the 13th slot because then we, potentially, could have Aston Martin in F1, which would be awesome.

Prodrive isn’t going to happen any time soon. They tried to enter in 2008, but that entry hinged on customer cars being allowed to enter, and some of the established teams – namely Williams, I believe – didn’t like that. Plus, they’ve had a few other abject failures elsewhere: the AMR-One Le Mans car was an absolute embarrassment, little more than a submarine on wheels. Likewise, they handled their Mini WRC entry so poorly that BMW pulled all their funding.

Zadak

I’ve said it before…

JCB

I still think it would be the coolest thing, all yellow and everything.

But really I would love to see a manufacturer fill the last slots on the grid. Not at the back though, I’d want them to do it properly.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The problem is that doing it properly would require several years’ worth of testing and development the way Toyota did it. And even then, there is no guarantee off success. If a manufacturer were to enter, then the easiest way to do it would be to buy into a team with existing infrastructure the way BMW did with Sauber.

If they did, then I wouldn’t mind seeing them revive an extinct team name (the the appropriate permissions, of course). Minardi, Brabham and even Super Aguri could be brought back to life in some way.

smifaye
    Participant

I agree that I’d like to see an independent team come back into F1 as these are the teams that have the real passion behind F1 and are there for their love of racing not for the brand exposure that comes along with it. The thing is F1 just isn’t the same place it was 10 or 15 years ago and it is unlikely for a team like that to come in and succeed after watching Lotus, Marussia and HRT do it.

I think I’d like to see an independent team with strong backing come into the sport so they actually have a chance to race for points.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Does anyone know when the FIA are actually going to allow entries for the 13th slot?

Also, no matter what team it is.. Get Paul Stoddart as team manager. He was hilarious.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@bradley13 – As far as I know, there are no current plans to allow a 13th team. After USF1 folded, the FIA opened the bidding process for teams to enter in 2011 and received entries from fifteen prospective teams, including ART Grand Prix, Zoran Stefanovic, Epsilon Euskadi, a splinter faction of USF1 calling themselves Cypher, and a combined Jacques Villeneuve-Durango effort (that was allegedly being funded by Muammar Qaddafi’s son). Ultaimtely, the FIA weren’t satisfied that any of the aspiring teams could satisfy the financial and engingeering obligations needed to enter the sport, and there has been no move to re-open the bidding process. As far as I know, they will consider any proposal put before them, but Lola Cars is the only organisation that has shown any interest in doing so, stating that they want to join the sport when the 2014 engine regulations are introduced.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys – I read that Lola wanted to enter before in 2013, before the regulations changed. But this did strike me as a little wierd, but yeah, check Wikipedia, thats what it says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Formula_One_season

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

check Wikipedia, thats what it says

I know what Wikipedia says. I’m the one who wrote it.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Oh, fair enough. Haha

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If we’re talking about reviving an old name, HRT are open to a name change:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99441

Sure, they’re HRT – but now that they’re settled at their Caja Magica facility and have everything under the one roof, they can concentrate on developing their cars.

matt90
    Participant

What I don’t want is an old independent team name return for no other reason than somebody buying the rights- no Brabham or Tyrrell please. No Minardi (unless it involves Toro Rosso being sold) either.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If the Brabhams or the Minardis got involved with the team, why shouldn’t that team be allowed to revive their name? There was an attempt to revive the Brabham name in 2010, but the family tried to stop it. If they gave their blessing and took on a role within the team, I see no problem with bringing the name back.

matt90
    Participant

Yeah, if the family was involved that would be fine.

honestly, someone may take the thirteenth slot, but we’ll never have thirteen competitive teams, and by competitive i mean on par with Torro Rosso aka Minardi! Can u imagine saying competitive and Minardi in the same sentence 10 years ago!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.