• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 hours, 3 minutes ago

F1 discussion

De-Tilke-fication of F1 tracks

This topic contains 124 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VMaxMuffin VMaxMuffin 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I got bored the other day, zoomed in on a random part of the map and made this. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6194357

It sort of looks like something Tilke would do, at the same time, it lacks some vitals, like a mile long straight.

Profile photo of VMaxMuffin
    VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@npf1 I thought the point was to take modern or “modernised” race tracks and improve on them or their modifications?

Here’s my version of Abu Dhabi, my least favourite track on the F1 calendar, and I detest the fact that it sometimes gets the last race of the season (like this year). I’d probably still not like it after these modifications, but at least it would be more bearable.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6198449

I quite like the first part of the lap, it’s quite fast and flowing. I decided to skip the chicane before the first hairpin, because it basically destroys opportunities for overtaking. This requires the hairpin to be brought forward (due to lack of run-off space). I think this change will also improve overtaking down the next straight, because the current chicane-hairpin combination seems to spread out cars into single file – with just a hairpin two cars can fight into the hairpin and be closer down the next straight.

At the end of the next straight, I made the chicane a bit faster, but not too fast so overtaking should still be possible. Then, at the end of the straight with the support pits, I got rid of the tight chicane and replaced it with a faster left-hander, similar to Stowe at Silverstone, but then followed it with a chicane to reduce speeds and make a “technical” section. This can produce mistakes, and also a following driver could try taking the Stowe-like corner faster and then diving down the inside into the chicane for an impressive overtake. Not sure if it would work but there are already some other major overtaking possibilities anyway. Plus, it adds variety.

On approach to the hotel, I replaced the double-left with some Silverstone-like Esses, which is way more interesting and also slows the cars down before the tight 90° corner with little run-off. I left the bit running under the hotel because I think it some would enjoy being in a hotel room and watch cars running beneath you.

I replaced the second-to-last corner with a flat-out sweeper because it was a bit of a nothing corner anyway, that only served to prevent overtaking into the final corner, which I also reprofiled because it’s just weirdly-shaped as it is and I think probably doesn’t help with overtaking either.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

@vmaxmuffin

It usually is, but not all tracks that are modified here are Tilke tracks, plus, there’s little point in making third thread for track designs, imo.

Profile photo of VMaxMuffin
    VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@npf1 Point taken ;) Perhaps the thread should be renamed, although I suppose that’s not really necessary :P

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.