F1

The great Tilkedrome that never was…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ned Flanders
    Participant

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/38978455_078f69e654.jpg

I was flicking through one of my old F1 mags the other day, and I saw the plans for the Hermann Tilke designed circuit in Cape Town that was set to host the South African GP. Obviously the circuit never materialiased, but looking at the track plans it looks like it had the potential to be one of the best new circuits in decades. Some of the corners- like the right hander at the end of the back straight, the fast left hander at Turn 7, the long left hander in the infield- look absolutely thrilling.

Of course, like all Tilkedromes it would have lacked character and history, and maybe it would’ve been pancake flat and therefore slightly boring. But it certainly looks like a potentially excellent circuit. Shame it seems to have been forgotten

Icthyes
    Participant

It does look quite good really, especially the “reverse Becketts” section it seems to have going, not to mention the massive straights of the last part of the lap.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sorry, but it just looks like Bahrain to my eyes.

plushpile
    Participant

Looks like a different take on Sepang for me…

Nice to see a few more fast corners on a Tilke track tho…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You want a decent circuit? Here:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8568/moscow1.jpg

I stitched together some roads in Moscow. It’s not actually intended to be in Moscow, but rather just be based on the shape of the roads.

The only major problem with it is that combined, the roads form a loop of about eleven kilometres. I’ve shortened it to just under seven so that it qualifies as a Formula 1 circuit, but I’m afraid it might compromise the speed and design.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You know, I’m sensing a guest article here: Top 10 … Circuits That Were Never Built (And Why Not). You’ve got this, Nagatino Island in Russia, the Cancun “Manta Ray”, the A1-Ring Westschelife, Donington Park, the original Grand Prix of the Soviet Union circuit, Flushing Meadows circa 1982, etc.

plushpile
    Participant

That would be a pretty interesting article to read if you wanted to write it…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No time right now. I’ve got a two-week residential school, an essay to write on classroom behaviour management, and an assignment that involves writing an entire unit for work for Year 12 students.

Also, I’m not entirely sure there’s ten circuits out there that could be added.

plushpile
    Participant

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/racingcircuits/_type/_proposed.html

might help anyone out if they wanted to write it ;)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

That’s where I got half my list from.

That mad Silverstone oval would be another one.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t know anything about that. Information on some of these projects is thin on the ground in some places.

Icthyes
    Participant

The idea of a Birmingham Grand Prix made me chuckle (and that London one looked awful).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.