• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 12 minutes ago

F1 discussion

The next big F1 rivalry?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of raymondu999 raymondu999 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

I know what you mean – but I think it will be similar to Button-Hamilton – in that he will outperform people’s expectations. I know a lot of people don’t rate Vettel and feel that Alonso will thrash him – but I don’t think so.

I use to think that, but I’ve changed my mind about that now. Vettel is a very good driver, among the best, but whether he can/will beat Alonso is debatable.

F1F is a genuine website towards Sebastian, and he usually gets the credit he deserves. I wouldn’t recommend you or any other Vettel fan to try the Autosport blog. Horrible forum, totally one-sided with all the Mclaren fans and both Seb and Fred are often trashed there.

As for whatever reason, I just don’t feel Hamilton will be a part of this rivalry. His career has taken a strange path; classic drivers such as Schumacher, Vettel or Alonso start their career in a mediocre/moderate team, then move up to an upper midfield team, win their first race, and then win 2 consecutive championships at a young age. Hamilton, although a great driver who will probably win another championship, will for whatever reason be remembered as the Mansell of this era. That’s just what I think.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark I know you did – I used to come to verbal blows with you on the matter back then!

Hamilton’s career path is more similar to JV, though I still feel he is a much better driver than JV.

Whether or not Driver A can beat Driver B is always a debatable/arguable matter both ways, at least until they come head to head in the same car, or at least until they’ve had a common teammate.

In other, more lighthearted news…

For what it’s worth, Webber’s beat Alonso over a season in equal machinery before (it was in 2000, in F3000) :P – mind you Alonso won Spa that year so it was clearly a weird year. They finished the year with 22 points to Mark, 17 to Fernando. Interestingly the qualifying battle stood at 7-3, in Mark’s favor.

Kingshark
    Participant

Well, Webber beat Alonso in F3000, and Vettel is now beating Webber at Red Bull. Vettel was beaten by di Resta in Formula 3, who was beaten by Sutil in 2011 at Force India, who was give or take equal to Albers in 2007 at Spyker. Thus, by that logic Ferrari immediately need to replace the under-performing Fernando Alonso with Christian Albers as soon as possible.

On a more serious note, I feel that the Alonso vs Hamilton rivalry doesn’t have the capacity, and probably never will to be anywhere near as intense as Senna vs Prost. One of the reasons is because of PR, nowadays if Hamilton called Alonso a coward like his hero Senna did to Prost, 5 minutes later the Mclaren department would right away tell him to apologize in public to prevent them from losing any Sponsor deals. F1 drivers today are tamed a bit too much like robots for my taste, IMO.

magon4
    Participant

It will be Vettel x Hamilton – I’ve been saying this (on blogs) since 2009.

raymondu999
    Participant

On balance of 2012, and Hamilton leaving to Mercedes – I’d just like to point out that at this point, my prediction of Vettel x Alonso is looking pretty darn cosy :P

Michael
    Participant

It’s hard to have a big F1 rivalry – I think you have everyone versus Red Bull – that’s the main rivalry in F1 right now. As long as the “tank” – it’s indestructible – is fast, they are good to go.

Off-topic, Red Bull should seriously consider making minivans to transport families safely around the world:-)

Their logo could be “Even at 100mph collisions the car takes no damage, everyone lives, and continues to their destination – Disneyworld”

raymondu999
    Participant

@freelittlebirds how is the Red Bull indestructible? The Ferrari as a car is a lot more robust to be completely honest.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Just throwing this out there, but I think unless Perez turns out to be a lot better than most of us think he is, then I wouldn’t rule out Button from being a factor in the next few championship battles. Certainly next year, I’d expect McLaren to start the year with a car which is on par with the fastest, and without a stronger teammate to contend with, and basically a number 1 status in the team, I could see JB having his best year since 2009. Certainly he seems to be driving with a level of speed and confidence that has grown significantly since he joined McLaren. If they can give him a car which is fast and to his liking, then I would say he has another championship in him.

Michael
    Participant

@raymondu999

the more appropriate question is how is the Red Bull destructible?

We haven’t seen the Ferrari hit other cars but at Abu Dhabi and Brazil the RB8 demonstrated tank-like resilience…

RBR has missed its true calling – they could be the next Volvo with the sales of Toyota and the appeal of Audi. If they can make indestructible featherweight vehicles imagine what they’d do with regular vehicles… I suspect they could even make the minivans fly if they spend a little time on it.

Michael
    Participant

@MazdaChris
    I wouldn’t count Button out either – with his luck, there’s a really high chance that the MP428 will be both the fastest and most reliable car now that Hamilton’s left…

@raymondu999 is going to be the 2nd F1 billionaire after Bernie;-)

raymondu999
    Participant

@freelittlebirds it lost its front wing to styrofoam. That is not “tank like resilience”. On the other hand Ferrari have always built tanks since Schumacher moved to Maranello in 1996 – as demonstrated when Barrichello torpedoed Alonso at 310kph at Spa 2010. Barrichello lost his front wing, his nose, and his two front tyres – Alonso spun and continued.

raymondu999
    Participant

@freelittlebirds and what do you mean “GOING” to be? ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.