F1

The next big F1 rivalry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

It’s as the title says. Who do you think will be the next great big rivalry story in F1? Like the 1998-2000 Schumacher-Hakkinen, Prost-Senna, etc.

Personally I think Vettel and Alonso will see out at least the next half of the decade as the big new rivalry of the future. What do you all think?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Perez and Maldonado. They’ve already got a history together. They may not be in front-running cars at the same time, but if Maldonado can get his act together and start showing us what he showed us in Spain and Singapore more than what he showed us at Silverstone and Valencia, then it could get interesting because he could land a decent drive while Perez seems destined for one.

Enigma
    Participant

I think it’s going to be a triple rivalry – Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. The three best drivers in 3 different teams (at the moment, as Vettel could join Alonso…). I can definitely see them fighting over the next 5 or so world titles, let’s just hope their cars are similar in the following years. I do think these 3 could produce one of the golden eras of the sport.

And, you never know, they might even get on the podium together once! :)

Kingshark
    Participant

Vettel’s contract with Red Bull runs out at the end of next year and he already said he appreciates Ferrari. I would bet that in 2014 Seb moves to Maranello and has a 3 year long rivalry with Fred in the same team.

As we all know Alonso’s not a fan of fast team mates, so things would certainly heat up. I would guess that in the first season, 2014, Alonso would beat Vettel; in 2015, they will be give or take equal on points, and in 2016 Vettel will beat Alonso. That’s just my opinion/prediction.

James_mc
    Participant

I think it is currently Alonso/Hamilton vs Vettel.

In the future (4/5 years) it will be Vettel/A.N. Other, I’m thinking probably a Perez, or perhaps a Di Resta. For some reason I am discounting Hamilton. I think perhaps because I don’t think all his current messing about with contracts bodes well for his career or is positive indicator of someone who will take a slog to help build up a good car like Alonso.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark I think the outcome of the first year (in your timeline) would depend heavily on the first two qualifying and racing sessions. If Vettel outqualifies and outraces him straight in the first two races, I think Fred could pop a vein.

Participant

Can I still hope that Kimi will be in the mix?

duncanmonza
    Participant

Can I still hope that Kimi will be in the mix?

I should think so. These four should be the main drivers battling or championships over the next 4 or 5 years, maybe with Rosberg too.
    After that, Alonso and Kimi will drop out but Vettel and Hamilton will keep racing for many more years and maybe be fighting with the likes of Perez, di Resta, Hulkenberg, Ricciardo, Bottas, Alguersuari and Bianchi.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@brazil2007, @duncanmonza – Let’s not confuse the championship battle with driver rivalries.

To me, a rivalry is a bitter battle between two drivers, both of whome would be willing to finish 23rd if it meant that the other would finish 24th. And I just don’t see Raikkonen engaging with other drivers on that level. I’ve never seen him do it in the past, and given his demeanour, I think it would take a lot for him to strike up a rivalry with another driver.

Just because Raikkonen is in the championship fight (and he won’t be for much longer if Lotus can’t get their race management together), it doesn’t mean that he’s in a driver rivalry.

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes, what @prisoner-monkeys said. I’d argue Vergne-Ricciardo and Hulkenberg-Di Resta are having their own rivalries right now, albeit small, and somewhat anonymously.

raymondu999
    Participant

I seem to be unable to edit to my post. But in addition to what I said above, doesn’t have to be a hostile thing though.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve found I can’t edit my posts if they are the newest post in the thread, or if I try and open the editing window in a separate tab or window.

Anyway, you are right in saying that it does not need to be a hostile thing. But I still can’t see Kimi Raikkonen engaging in a rivalry. I imagine that he is the kind of driver who works out who he needs to be racing, and plans his strategy accordingly, so the driver he is going head-to-head with changes from race to race – which is most evident now when the second-place driver has changed four times in the past four races (Webber, then Vettel, then Hamilton and now Vettel again). Raikkonen, in third, is probably racing the driver immediately in front of him rather than Alonso. So it’s not really a rivalry at all; Raikkonen is doing what he needs to do, when he needs to do it.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is the kind of driver who does enter into rivalries. Even though he’s fourth in the standings, he’ll always be racing Alonso, the championship leader, first and everyone else second.

raymondu999
    Participant

While I understand what you’re saying in-principle, I don’t agree that that’s what he’s doing. I think any racing driver – Raikkonen included – will always strive to get the maximum out of his machinery.

Kingshark
    Participant

I think the outcome of the first year (in your timeline) would depend heavily on the first two qualifying and racing sessions. If Vettel outqualifies and outraces him straight in the first two races, I think Fred could pop a vein.

I too think he could pop a vein if that were to happen, but I doubt he’d throw his toys out the pram, IMO he’s more mature now that back in 2007, as a person at least.

On the other hand, Vettel’s reaction to if Alonso out-performs him will also be interesting. Will he start to get worried/ be in denial of moving to Ferrari? He very well could, as for now his only real teammate has been Webber, and Fred is quite a step up from Mark.

That being said, I don’t think neither your nor my scenario will actually work out that way. Currently, Alonso is reaching the peak of his career while Vettel has time to grow. In 2014, Fernando will have the home advantage, and will probably out-score Seb. 2015 will be on equal grounds, and I firmly believe that they will draw on points, give or take. 2016, Vettel reaches the prime of his career while Alonso begins to age, that’s why I predict Vettel would come out on top in the final season together.

Of course, that is all if Vettel doesn’t extend his contract with Red Bull and actually moves to Ferrari; and that’s a big IF. In fact, F1 is IF spelled backwards.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark I don’t know how publicly he will show his frustration – but IMO he will be frustrated, even if he bottles it internally.

I know what you mean – but I think it will be similar to Button-Hamilton – in that he will outperform people’s expectations. I know a lot of people don’t rate Vettel and feel that Alonso will thrash him – but I don’t think so.

Technically F1 spelt backwards is 1F, not if, but yeah :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.