F1

This formula is just like the previous one in that…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Atticus
    Participant

…the teams from Brackley and Milton Keynes got the edge in its first year, unambiguously in that order, and Ferrari and McLaren are outbidding each other in their quest to get back to the top from where they were knocked down so spectacularly.

In my eyes, this is not a coincidence. It’s no surprise to me that, in both cases, it was the teams with Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey on board that figured the new rules out the best at the first go. And it’s no surprise either that Ferrari and McLaren, the teams with the greatest heritage in F1, consider it their personal agenda to go after them most vehemently.

Luckily, we have Williams, the third most prestigeous team on the grid, woken up from their decade-long sleep as well.

And we need midfield teams with the approach of Force India – teams who, despite being on severly limited budgets, are so efficient that they can still rattle the cage of the weakest of the big teams every now and then. Just as the teams from Brackley and Milton Keynes know – as Ferrari and McLaren knew before them – that they cannot keep the top spot forever, Force India knows full well that, with the right man, they can do a Red Bull some time in the future.

@HoHum
    Participant

Force India are a wonderful example of what can happen when there are significant variations in the PU as we now call it. Had FI been stuck with one of the lesser powerplants they would be struggling, but apparently they have a decent chassis and reasonably low drag bodywork which gives them a chance to compensate for their lack of downforce by going faster on the straights while not being terrible in corners and possibly carrying less fuel. This kind of variation in performance would not be successful if we returned to “equalised” engines.

Atticus
    Participant

I absolutely agree. I just hope the next generation of engines (from 2016) will be equally varied in performance with a somewhat different pecking order and maybe a less dominant frontrunner.

I’m also massively worried how the small teams are going to cope with the costs of yet another engine formula change that Ferrari and Renault would push through in their quest for defeating Mercedes. They’ll obviously have zero regards to the cost-related complaints of the small teams. They will want to win.

Most of the competing teams are from Motorsport Valley.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.