F1

Time for split screen F1?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    TommyB
    Participant

With so much action in F1 do you think it’s time for F1 to go split screen when they need to in able to show 2 pieces of action that are going on at the same time.

This year there has been a lot of battles going on at the same timm Massa vs Hamilton, Webber vs Vettel in Silverstone. Vettel vs Alonso vs Button, Hamilton vs Sutil vs Petrov vs Alguersuari vs Buemi in Monaco. Hamilton vs Vettel, Button vs Rosberg vs Massa vs Webber in China.

shadow13
    Participant

Yeah I agree, sometimes we end up watching the wrong battle which is really annoying. Also they concentrate too much on the leader, I know we’re obviously most interested in the leader but if there is a good battle for 15th it would be more interesting than watching the leader cruise round half a lap ahead of anyone.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I’m not so sure. I think a bit more common sense would be better. For example, I think it would have been better for FOM to show Webber vs Vettel because they were closer to the end of the lap, and there’d be other opportunities to show Massa vs Hamilton after Webber and Vettel had finished battling.

All I know for certain is that FOM need to upgrade their servers or whatever it is so they can have 24 cars streaming onboard cameras simultaneously. It’s the 21st century. There’s no excuse for things not being caught on camera.

shadow13
    Participant

Yeah I agree.

Icthyes
    Participant

Too much to focus on at the same time. Twice as much choice, less than half the reward. I would rather have a better director.

electrolite
    Participant

I think if you went split screen, it would have to be executed and presented to viewer very smoothly and without it being too much of a gimmick. I think I’ve rather see the whole of one battle rather than two at once, but it would be good for qualifying laps perhaps – to compare a current lap with a rivals previous fastest one for example.

BrawnGP
    Participant

I think the best thing to see on split screen would be when 1 car tries to jump another in a pit stop. Would be great having half screen on board going down the pit straight and the other half as the standard camera following the pit car. Seeing the pit stop and the other drivers reaction as the other car darts out before the first corner would be good.

Icthyes
    Participant

Now those are ideas I like very much!

Slr
    Participant

I wouldn’t equally split the screen, I would have a small-medium box showing other significant action (i.e. pitstops). Along with that, I would get a better director.

One thing they need to stop doing is showing 3 minutes of replays of the start 2 laps into the race.

We want to see what’s happening on track, you plonker! Save the replays for the end of the race!

DavidS
    Participant

Maybe it’s my imagination, but didn’t they try using a little box in the corner to show cars pitting last year?

TommyB
    Participant

@BrawnGP That is a brilliant idea!

@MagGeoff Agree with that too. They also need to stop showing girlfriends, fathers and mechanics during action. I remember when Button was closing in on Vettel in Montreal they cut to a McLaren mechanic cheering and when the camera was on him he angrily gestured at the screen to show the racing instead of him watching.

shadow13
    Participant

I agree Tommy, I’m sick of seeing Hamilton’s girlfriend jumping up and down every time the camera looks at her. If we wanted to see her we’d be watching a music channel. The director seems to think we want to watch peoples reactions to what’s happening on track more than what’s happening on track. He is wrong.

Also good ideas Electrolite and Brawn GP.

PinkMaggit

I like the idea, I just worry that those new to watching F1 will be confused and put off. Maybe it would work if they used it sparingly. No harm in trying a small amount in one of the races and see what the reaction is.

BarnstableD
    Participant

Hate the idea of split screening two battles at once. Love the idea of split screening two cars battling/pitting/qualifying etc.

I want to see every battle, rather than having to watch two at once or chosing which one to properly watch. Replays work better. Commentary would not be as smooth either and from what I’ve seen of it used in America it’s very gimmicky.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.