F1

Todt fails to see point in shrinking F1 field

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Atticus
    Participant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117045

What an absolute rubbish.

I’d refer back to the rise and fall of constructors through F1 history all the way back to 1950.

One of the principal consideration I’ve made back there was how the number of new entries plummeted in the last two decades, while those who’ve entered literally all folded by now. This indicates that no matter how often the FIA pushes for new entries (as Todt suggests in the article), the core issue – on the entry side, that is – is not a lack of interest, or entry barriers, but high operational costs. Which is precisely the thing, on which Todt had made no tangible proposal yet again.

By the way, if new teams are unable to survive, and decision-makers don’t make a move to decrease operational costs then it’s inevitable that existing teams with long historical know-how (all nine, counting previous owners) simply must be supported in order to keep a healthy field. I’m not fond of subsidising, I believe it hurts competitiveness, the core value of sports, so I’d strongly recommend quitting making comments, such as the above from Todt and getting down to business in terms of cost-cutting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They should be encouraging GP2 teams to move up to F1 – they are the ones closest to the depth and ability to take part. They are already part of the touring circus, and for goodness sake, they are already there!

Why doesn’t Todt court the people who are right in front of his nose?! Doesn’t seem that hard to me.

Atticus
    Participant

If we are to move into customer team territory, by the way, then I support Brundle’s 6 big teams + 6 satellite teams idea. For 24 cars.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@atticus-2 I imagine that would now end up like 4-4 & 3:

Mercedes -> Williams (or Force India)
    Red Bull -> Toro Rosso
    Ferrari -> Haas (replacing Marussia)
    McLaren -> Manor (Mugen-Honda?)
    Lotus, Force India and Sauber

Really, we need VW to come in and boost team numbers now to give us:
    Audi -> VW Sauber (Audi will set up a new team in Germany, replacing Toyota)

And we lost a potential Renault works/junior team if Red Bull went their own way:
    Lotus -> Caterham (which would have been ironic after Lotus vs. Lotus)

It used to be a potential 3-3-2-2-2:
    Mercedes – Williams – Force India (Mercedes)
    Ferrari – Sauber – Haas (Ferrari)
    Red Bull – Toro Rosso (Renault)
    McLaren – Manor (Honda)
    Lotus – Caterham (Renault.. but they would suit Mercedes, ending up Lotus – Force India)

Customer engines available for the same price as old V8s would be an easy cost cut – that might reduce Mercedes’ advantage unless they would write off more for winning PR/R&D, in which case it might increase…

@junior-pilot ART is half-owned by Todt’s son.. they tried to join in 2011 but gave up when it was impossible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.