• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 55 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Todt wants drivers to choose their own numbers

This topic contains 91 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sbl on tour sbl on tour 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

I don’t think this is at all necessary. Even if you did allow drivers to pick their own numbers the teams would then had the headache of making the number more pronounced on the car and losing sponsorship areas in it’s place.

Joe average probably doesn’t care too much who the other drivers are, he may have one or two preferred drivers/teams but aside from that I don’t think it matters.

Profile photo of wasiF1
    wasiF1
    Participant

Then everyone will want to have NUMBER 1 on there car with no one will like to have NUMBER 2. I like the current process.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Then everyone will want to have NUMBER 1 on there car with no one will like to have NUMBER 2.

Only the champion would be entitled to the number 1. Everybody else would have to pick their own number. The system works just fine in other racing series, like MotoGP, V8 Supercars, Indycar and NASCAR.

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

I still don’t see the point. Whatever the number is, it’s be just as hard to see on TV as the helmet or camera or whatever, which seems to be one of the biggest “plus” points people keep citing.

I’m not against it at all really, I just don’t agree with the arguments being brought forward.

“You need to have some strong ground for changing,” the Frenchman added. “You need to have a minimum of positive opinion among the group in Formula 1. So far, unfortunately, they are not interested, they are quite happy. It will come, it will change.”

Just noticed this. So much for a change from Mosley, then.

Profile photo of Asanator
    Asanator
    Participant

I think it is largely irrelevant, the numbers on F1 cars are too small and the cars travelling too fast to be able to pick the numbers out, drivers helmets are much easier to discern and remember and as someone else mentioned if you are not a die hard fan, the graphics will usually tell you sooner or later who you are looking at.

There is also a sensible kind of logic to the current number order and it is easy to explain to the casual viewer. I don’t see the point in changing.

Profile photo of cubejam
    cubejam
    Participant

I like what Renault have always done since Schumacher in 1994. Their number 1 driver has always had a red/orange nose cone

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Fernando_Alonso_2006_Canada.jpg/120px-Fernando_Alonso_2006_Canada.jpg

Profile photo of Chapmondo
    Chapmondo
    Participant

I reckon if drivers had the choice of numbers the teams might make them pick certain numbers, for maybe sponsorship reasons. Thinking about teams forcing their drivers to pick certain numbers. I’ll like to see Ferrari with the numbers 27 and 28 on them!

Profile photo of wasiF1
    wasiF1
    Participant

@ Prisoner Monkeys

I have never seen Rossi in Moto GP despite been champion had number 1 on his machine. He always had 46,as Stoner always had 27.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

That’s because MotoGP riders are given the choice. They’re allowed to use the number 1 if they are champion because as champion, that is their right – but if they don’t want to use it, they are under no obligation to do so. Valentino Rossi does not exercise his right to use the 1 when he is champion, instead preferring his 46. But Jorge Lorenzo is using it this year in place of his 99. So in Formula 1, Sebastian Vettel would be allowed to use the number 1 if he wanted to. But if not, another driver would not be entitled to take it simply because it is not being used. The number 1 is, and always will be, the World Champion’s right. It must be earned.

Profile photo of James_mc
    James_mc
    Participant

I quite like the idea. In the history of F1 teams have generally picked their numbers more than they have been allocated. I think the numbers in F1 perhaps hold more significance for teams than individuals; Tyrell 3&4, McLaren 7&8 (apart from when they borrowed…..) 27 &28 from Ferrari.

I think that 1 should be the WDC number regardless and they get no choice, it’s an honour (IMO) to have that on your car so treat it so!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think that 1 should be the WDC number regardless and they get no choice, it’s an honour (IMO) to have that on your car so treat it so!

Saying “it’s an honour” and then forcing them to use it is about as big a contradiction as I can think of.

Profile photo of Guelph
    Guelph
    Participant

In NASCAR (and other US racing series), the number belongs to the team, not the driver. Drivers only get known for their number when they’ve stuck with the same team for a long period of time.

At least among the top 15-20 drivers in NASCAR, there is very little movement of drivers between teams, so many drivers are known for their number. However if for some reason Jimmie Johnson were to leave his current team he couldn’t take 48 with him (without his new team buying the number from the current owner)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

What’s your point? If Formula 1 introduced this system, it could be easily structured in such a way that the driver owns the number, not the team.

Profile photo of Jarred Walmsley
    Jarred Walmsley
    Participant

I think its a brilliant idea, as many have said namely PM, the drivers of other series are known predominantly by their numbers, I have no idea what Jaime Whincup or Valentino Rossi helmets look like but I know they are numbers 888 and 46. I think it is a really great idea, especially if they are driver and not team oriented.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Actually, Whincup is car 88. Craig Lowndes drivers the 888.

Minor detail, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.