F1

Top 10 non-championship-winning drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Rick Lopez
    Participant

Please nominate your own and discuss:

Felipe Massa
    Striling Moss
    Jarno Trulli
    David Coulthard
    Mark Webber
    Wolfgang Von Trips
    Gerhard Berger
    Ricardo Patrese
    Martin Brundle
    Eddie Irvine

Kingshark
    Participant

1. Sir Stirling Moss
    2. Carlos Reuteman
    3. Gilles Villeneuve
    4. Francois Cevert
    5. Wolfgang Von Trips
    6. Peter Collins
    7. Felipe Massa
    8. Juan Pablo Montoya
    9. Gerhard Berger
    10. David Coulthard

David-A
    Participant

1. Sir Stirling Moss
    2. Carlos Reutemann
    3. Peter Collins
    4. Jacky Ickx
    5. Gilles Villeneive
    6. Wolfgang Von Trips
    7. Francois Cevert
    8. Mark Webber
    9. Gerhard Berger
    10. Felipe Massa

Moss
    Reutemann
    G. Villeneuve
    Montoya
    Ickx
    Berger
    Alesi

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Rick, Kingshark, Dizzy-A

Massa was world champion for 20 seconds :-)

the_sigman
    Participant

Pretty much agree with @kingshark

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Ronnie Peterson! Apart from Moss and Villeneuve he is the standout, how has he been forgotten? In no particular order after the first three:

Moss
    Villeneuve
    Peterson
    Reutemann
    Ickx
    Gurney
    Mclaren
    Brooks
    Montoya
    Alesi

melkurion
    Participant

1) Stirling Moss
    2) Ronnie Peterson
    3) Juan pablo Montoya
    4) Jakckie Ickx
    5) Gilles Villeneuve
    6) Carlos Reutemann
    7) Steffan bellof
    8) Dan Gurney
    9) Fellipe Massa (pre- accident)
    10) Rene Arnoux

Roald
    Participant

How anyone can mention Massa in their list is beyond me. He’s currently in his fourth mediocre year at Ferrari in a row and holds the record for having participated in the most races in a Ferrari without winning a single race. Not to mention his teammate has placed second in the championship standings in both 2010 and 2012. He does simply not deserve to be on anyone’s list.

Roald
    Participant

Actually, make that his fifth mediocre season at Ferrari. My bad.

Kingshark
    Participant

@roald

How anyone can mention Massa in their list is beyond me. He’s currently in his fourth mediocre year at Ferrari in a row and holds the record for having participated in the most races in a Ferrari without winning a single race. Not to mention his teammate has placed second in the championship standings in both 2010 and 2012. He does simply not deserve to be on anyone’s list.

Massa was a great driver back in 2007-2009, he won 11 races, beat Raikkonen as teammates, challenged Hamilton in almost equal cars, and came within one corner of winning a WDC.

Judging Massa based on his post-accident form is like judging Schumacher based on his comeback, or judging Graham Hill based on his time in the 70’s. A driver should be rated based on when he was his best, not during his decline.

Actually, make that his fifth mediocre season at Ferrari. My bad.

Massa was bad in 2009? Before his accident in Hungary, he stood 5th in the championship standings with 22 points, driving a car that was miles inferior to Brawn and RBR, and probably slower than Toyota too; while his teammate the highly rated and beloved Raikkonen was only 10th in the WDC with a mere 10 points.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let’s see (with no order in particular, and just to mention the ones I’ve seen during my lifetime)
    Montoya, Massa, Kubica, Ralf Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Frentzen, Barrichello, Fisico, Webber and Trulli

mnmracer
    Participant

Pre-accident Massa definitely deserves to be up there. Granted, with great contenders for this title in the old days, I’m not sure he’d make top 3, but definitely one of, if not the best non-championship winning post 80’s driver.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seeing Massa on so many lists does make me giggle.

I agree with @roald and @ajokay. Massa has spent so many years with Formula 1’s most powerful team after not really having any standout giant-killing drives at Sauber to suggest he was a future world champion and only came close to winning the title once in 2008. And a big part of him being in contention in the first place was because of a series of really dodgy stewarding decisions that gifted him more points than he probably deserved.

From 2010 onwards, his form was awful and the fact that his seat has been under question so many times since then says it all, in my opinion. I really can’t see how you can say he’s deserving of being in this top ten compared to so many other drivers who never had such long and sever slumps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.