F1

Top 10 Worst F1 drivers of the 21st century.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well the seems to be a general consensus about the best… so what about the worst?

Here’s my list (starting at the worst):

1. Yuji Ide

2. Sakon Yamamoto

3. Narain Karthikeyen

4. Gaston Mazzacane

5. Luciano Burti

6. Ralph Firman

7. Romain Grosjean

8. Scott Speed

9. Robert Doornbos

10. Kazuki Nakajima

TrueF1Grit

I don’t think Grosjean deserves to be on your list. Replace him with Nelson Piquet Jnr in my opinion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good shout. He somehow skipped my mind – I think I actually meant him when I thought “crappy Renault driver from last season” to myself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think Grosjean deserves to be on as he came into Renault at an awful time, had a two time world champ team mate and little testing and preparation.

I actually don’t think Kazuki was that bad either. He doesn’t deserve a place in F1 but I wouldn’t stick him in the list. He outqualified Nico a few times I think.

Badoer was pretty bad. He was like Grosjean by that he came into F1 this decade in less than ideal circumstances but he was so far off the pace so I’d probably stick him in number 10.

Girts
    Participant

Well, I don’t think I even want to think about such a list :)

Probably some will include Alex Yoong in this list. But I recently read his biography, The Driver’s Line, and it made me think about some things I didn’t consider before. No, he doesn’t blame everyone else for the fact that he didn’t become a world champion, he is actually very honest and self-critical. But we often do not know the real reasons behind the lack of good results for a specific driver. We don’t know what the circumstances were in each case.

For example, Alex Yoong struggled a lot in Minardi because it was the only car on the grid who had no power steering at that time. He admits that he was actually not prepared for F1 as well and probably some guys on your list weren’t, too. But, then again, if you are a young driver and have a chance to get a race seat in F1 and you don’t know if you will ever have that opportunity again, what do you do? I think the answer is obvious.

Who knows what some of those guys would have achieved, if they had more time to get to terms with their troubles in F1? Both Alguersuari and Grosjean looked terrible last year. Both entered F1 without any appropriate testing in the middle of 2009 season. But today, one year later, one of them seems to be a potential candidate for a RBR seat in 2012, while the other one is on your list.

Finally, the fact that you are able to drive an F1 car for a whole race without trailing the other guys by 1 minute per lap or passing out after 20 minutes, means that you cannot be too bad at all. Let’s have some respect for those guys who are able to do that.

David-A
    Participant

1. Luca Badoer

2. Yuji Ide

3. Sakon Yamamoto

4. Giorgio Pantano

5. Gaston Mazzacane

6. Luciano Burti

7. Alex Yoong

8. Patrick Friesacher

9. Nelson Piquet Jr.

10. Allan McNish

Badoer just has to be number 1 for me- he couldn’t even blame the car for being humiliatingly slow, not when your teammate takes a win and a podium.

Ide and Yamamoto are predictable choices, while Pantano is up there because I remember how terrible he was in 2004. Anyone except him would have scored something in that Jordan.

I’m not even sure if Piquet was as bad as the others on my list in 2008, despite that immature, stupid stunt. But he was abysmal in 2009, both slow and error prone. Like Petrov, but he didn’t wake up when Alonso was behind him because he was never fast enough to have Alonso behind him.

McNish is a Le Mans winner, but like with Zonta, and with Herbert in 2000, sportscar pedigree doesn’t always translate into F1 talent.

Todfod
    Participant

I remember starting this same post with the same title a few months ago.. some serious deja vu ;)

Here goes my list, accompanied with a video of why they are on that list

1. Yuji Ide – His lack of talent and speed actually forced the FIA to revoke his super license. Yet he deserved a tribute film – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0e0GWCzpD4

2. Luca Badoer – Countles seasons and zero points to his tally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4jSulqs61o

3. Narain Karthikeyan – India’s very own embarrassment. Manages to wreck a car on a straight. – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aql4flXJy4

4. Gaston Mazzacane – It was hilarious how he got sacked halfway through the 2001 season. This clip is awesome – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLiIA4e3jSU

5. Sakon Yamamoto – 2010’s gem of a driver. No clip requierd for him.. we all saw him race this year.

6. Ricardo Rosset – Rocket Rosset really didn’t have much control of his car, and was out to break new records in DNFs – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC3iGSGMJ8c

7. Alex Yoong – Nice guy, but lacking talent. Here he actually wrecks a car in the first corner of an outlap.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDKyz2ehXIw

8. Patrick Friesacher – His highest result was 6th.. but in the US GP of 2005, in which only 6 cars participated – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfX6d5SHFI

9. Nelson Piquet Jr. – No introduction needed

10. Gianmaria Bruni – Record breaking DNFs and low grid positions. Found a GP2 clip of his – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0XwpUq63bk

Fer no.65
    Participant

Mazzacane by light years!!!!

you know, those guys that raced in F1 once, when they come back to their countries, they race there and do reasonably well… even Ralf Schumacher scored a pole somewhere in DTM…

Mazzacane has been racing here in 2 different touring car championships, yet he’s never even finished in the top 10!.

About Badoer: people think just about last year. But what did you expected for a guy his age with no racing in 10 years??? He wasn’t gonna score points. Plus that car was tricky to drive. Fisi went from scoring a pole position at Spa to no points and dissapointing performances for the rest of the year.

Rosset, Yoong, Ide, Yamamoto, Mazzacane, Piquet… all were worse than Badoer…

David-A
    Participant

Fisi went from scoring a pole position at Spa to no points and dissapointing performances for the rest of the year.

Disapointing, but never last.

jonnyw360f1
    Participant

Watching that video of Badoer, he pulls off the steering wheel, presses the engine switch off button and then forgets he’s pulled the wheel off…doh.

NickV

In no particular order, just when i think of them:

– Yuji Ide

– Gaston Mazzacane

– Zsolt Baumgartner

– Narain Karthikeyan

– Luca Badoer

– Gianmaria Bruni

– Tarso Marques

– Alex Yoong

– Sakon Yamamoto

– Even though he never actually raced, Chanoch Nissany, a 38 year old Isreali Businessman – 13 secs off pace for Minardi in practice for 2005 Hungarian Grand Prix – the definition of a pay driver!

RIISE

Todfod, how did Badoer have countless seasons?

David-A
    Participant

@Todfod – Good list and videos, but Rosset never raced in the 21st century.

sbl on tour
    Participant

how can you put mcnish and pantano on the list

mcnish is the doggs and i,ve seen pantano and he,s no slouch either

I would have thought herr schu,s antics this year could qualify

sblot

Ned Flanders
    Participant

What, the 7 time champion with a career points total of 1,441 is more worthy of a place on the list than two journeyman drivers with a combined career points total of zero?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.