This immediately rules out races from the 1950′s-1970′s for a lot of us, but it will be nice to see what people of all ages count as their top 5 races. I have been watching Formula 1 since the end of the 1997 season, I’m 19 now, so that’s a large portion of my life… I have watched just about every single race live since then… My top 5 are below:
5. 2011 Chinese Grand Prix – One of the very few races which have happened recently, which, despite all the politics and everything lurking around, reminded me why I love this sport so much.
4. 2005 Japanese Grand Prix – I was so glad I got up early for this one! Alonso’s pass on Schumacher, the master being overtaken by the fiery new kid on the block, and Raikkonen scything through the field from 17th and one of my favourite overtakes ever on Fisichella on the last lap to win. He was my favourite driver for a while… :)
3. 1998 Belgian Grand Prix – I was what, 6 when this happened? When seeing cars crash like they did on the first corner it was crazy… And then watching the ‘evil red guy’ get taken out after hitting DC’s McLaren just added to the excitement… The constant chaos throughout the race and then seeing the bright yellow cars win and everyone being happy in the pouring rain was fantastic to watch if you were 6.
2. 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix – It was so tense, words cannot describe it. I literally jumped out of my seat when I saw Glock…
1. 2008 British Grand Prix – I was there. :)